Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Going from TT to BJU

Going from TT to BJU

So just a thinking about BJU for 8-12 grade. So if ds will be done with TT Pre Alg end of school year, wondering if they would be ready for BJU Alg or would they need to do BJU PreAlg. Just wondering if anyone has started BJU in 8th grade and gone through hs. I would probley used the DVDs.
Thanks for sharing any thoughts
BTW I am just starting to think about ideas for next year and beyond. Also TT is working.

re: Going from TT to BJU

Since TT is working, is there a reason why you're thinking of switching?

Based on all I've heard about TT and what I know about BJUP Math, I would recommend doing the BJUP Pre-Algebra before starting BJUP Algebra -- mainly because it doesn't sound like TT is as rigorous as BJUP's Math, in general.

Have you looked at BJUP's Pre-Algebra (and Algebra) at their website? The Table of Contents and sample lesson(s) might help you make a decision.

Their reps at their 1-800 number are also extremely helpful. Whenever I've called and they couldn't answer a question, they've even had textbook authors call me back and answer my questions. GREAT customer service.

Like I said just pondering somethings about next year, One of them is just doing all of the 8th grade with BJU using the DVDs.
Really not sure how it would work for my ds. So far in our schooling we've just done a varity of things. I also like so many just need to pray about it.

I am NOT mathy, myself.
We tried BJU 7th grade with DVD.
Awesome instruction, just too mental for ME. Was taking us to long to get it done.
Switched back to TT.
I have been hearing my friends say that their kids did well on the SAT/ACT and even got full scholarships while using TT.
Everyone is different.

We are using TT Prealgebra this year after trying 2 other programs. I compared the table of contents of many of them to Teaching Textbooks and here is the main thing I saw. Teaching Textbooks 2.0 covers pretty much the same things however it does it in a different order. Many other programs, BJU included, start out the Prealgebra book with hitting integers and equations in the very first chapters. They jump into pretty challenging equations problems early on. Then they cover fractions, percentages, decimals etc. Teaching Textbooks makes sure the foundation is solid in fractions, decimals, percents for the first few chapters and then moves on to integers, solving for equations etc. I personally have found with my ds that the Teaching Textbooks order of things makes more sense for him. I think it just depends on your dc. From everything I have read and looked at the newer editions of Teaching Textbooks is not behind other Prealgebra courses in content.

Another difference to be aware of is that BJU is more mastery with some review where as TT is spiral with constant review. People said it wouldn't make a difference with the higher level math, but at least for my ds it did. He had always used spiral and going to mastery just didn't work for him.

I am in agreement with gr8tfl.

It would be very likely that your student would have to repeat prealgebra if you switched to BJU.

If TT is working then I think you should stick with it.

Over the years I have switched maths with my dd, who is in 8th, and now I am reaping the consequences of that...Math is one thing that shouldn't be switched if you can help it.

Even though I prefer BJU math over TT (we've used them both), I'd have to also say that if TT is working for you now, you may as well stay with it!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions