Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Which history curriculums show how bible history fits together with secular history?

Which history curriculums show how bible history fits together with secular history?

I know MFW does this. I thought MFW is what we would be using, but we are doing ECC this and although it's going "okay", I'm ready to see what other options are out there.

Thanks

re: Which history curriculums show how bible history fits together with secular history?

Mystery of History! I think it does it the best.

re: Which history curriculums show how bible history fits together with secular history?

Preparing and CTC of HOD

This post was edited on Dec 12, 2012 11:03 AM

Actually, Rod and Staff 7th grade does this. Streams of Civilization does likewise.

ECC is very different from the upper history years. Many people leave MFW before getting to the history years, though, which is a bummer because they never know how it plays out long term.

World geography and cultures is based on space; thus, the units in ECC are set up by continent. Also, while a continent is a continent is a continent, the geography part of ECC (or any geography program, really) can get monotonous for some folks.

History is based on time and runs in more of a continuum, so you don't have the "choppiness" of the program overall that some folks feel in ECC. Meanwhile, try to remember that one of the best parts of ECC is the missions focus, both in your own family and worldwide. ;o)

Have you read any of the archive threads on the MFW forums to see what others have done with some of the history years? If not, you might take some time to browse there. Also, have you seen these threads?

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4004#p66798

http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/forums/1/thread.aspx?id=65723

Streams of Civilization is a high school text.

FYI, Streams is used in MFW CTG and RTR, but only some parts of it are scheduled. It's used as a resource for Mom to pre-read and summarize additional information when teaching the lessons, OR for older elementary students to go more in-depth if they want to.

If you're discouraged with ECC, just be aware that CTG is much different. I found ECC to be a bit monotonous and an awful lot of work, but CTG is so much better. We are enjoying it immensely. It's not as repetitive, and to me there seems to be less work and less reading aloud. I seriously thought about not continuing with MFW because I didn't love ECC, but I am loving CTG!

5th grade ABeka does this, as does high school CLP Streams of Civilization; and I believe the 6th and/or 7th BJUP history does as well, but need to double check that. And definitely, yes, Mystery of History does this.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions