Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Teaching Textbooks new versions?

Teaching Textbooks new versions?

I've seen several posts referring to the newer versions of TT and that they are much better. What are the differences and/or is there somewhere that I can read about the changes? I know they added automatic grading, but it seems some are also saying that they have made the courses more challenging. I'm especially interested in Algebra and up.

Thanks!
tollhousemom

re: Teaching Textbooks new versions?

Found this on Cathy Duffy's website:
About Prealgebra: "Pre-Algebra 2.0 has now added 37 lessons that tackle plane and solid geometry, functions, relations, graphing, statistics, probability, and other more challenging concepts. "Additional Topics" covered at the end of the text include equations and the distributive property, absolute value, distance formula, and more on formulas."

Algebra 1: "Algebra 1 version 2.0 has raised the bar a bit higher by adding sixteen new lessons covering functions, relations, statistics, probability, graphing with a calculator, the quadratic formula, absolute value, two-variable inequalities, and other more challenging topics. These additions address concerns that version 1.0 was not challenging enough. With version 2.0, overall, topic coverage is similar to that of many other first year algebra courses, but with more thorough explanation."

She hasn't reviewed the new Algebra 2 course yet. The teaching textbook website says this: Twenty new lessons on more advanced topics and over 150 extra problems and solutions

I know someone had said that the old Algebra 2 did not cover Logarithms, but the new version does.

I borrowed my neighbors old version of Prealgebra and compared it to the new 2.0 version and they were very different. Much less review and more coverage of typical Prealgebra concepts.

Not only all of the above that's already been mentioned, but also they've added in an index and little "Saxon-like" reference numbers for each problem, refering back to where it was first taught.

They heard the complaints and listened and FIXED it. :) I was hesitant about the multiple choice format at first, but after seeing that MUS also does this and really thinking about it, it's exactly what they will see on testing, should they go in that direction. They still have to solve the problems on paper, but the multiple choice helps them to see the possible errors that could occur as well, helping them to make sure their answer is precise.

We've had great success with both the Algebra 1 AND 2 for this year. My oldest, who did some of the older version and noticed its weaknesses, is loving her math this year. She seems to think there's a notable difference. It's worth it to get the newer version if you can.

Nancy this is a question for you. You mention a multiple choice format. Prealgebra doesn't have this. They have to type the answer in. There are 2-3 true false questions each lesson. When I looked at the Algebra 1 sample lesson it doesn't look like there are very many multiple choice questions either, so I was wondering when the multiple choice format is used?

It's about half & half with mutl. choice and type in the correct answer. When it's a mult. choice situation on the computer, they simple click on the correct choice, even with T & F. There are still situations in which they simply need to solve on their own and type in the answer they got for on-the-spot grading. I like that it has a balance of both worlds.

Actually, my ds had a bad day with his lesson today, so I'm going to delete his work AND the grade for that lesson and have him redo it tomorrow. This is the first time I've had to do this for him so far, though, so we'll see if it works. ;-)...He just told me about it.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize Cathy Duffy had updated her review.

Does TT have any specifics on their own site? I couldn't find any comparisons.

It sounds like they have made improvements with the technical aspects as well as content.

Hmmm. Something to think about.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions