Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Electives...again

Electives...again

This post was edited on Dec 05, 2012 10:47 AM

re: Electives...again

Good question. My dd's doing the Recordkeeping course from R&S right now (she loves it), and we've been sort of planning on having her Personal Finance from MFW next. I *think* they're different because the Recordkeeping course seems to be more like bookkeeping.... keeping personal records, but also keeping business records, tax records, etc. I *think* Personal Finance leans more to the decision-making/budgeting/stewardship side of things. (Though Recordkeeping addresses these things as well, but I think that may be because it's R&S -- specifically Mennonite financial principles.)

But I don't really know.

Okay, as I'm reading MFW's description of their Personal Finance course, I can see the difference. That one teaches financial management decisions and planning that you need in real life.

http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/M50/50/25/0/1#finance

The R&S Recordkeeping course is more of the administrative/bookkeeping side of things.

(Not sure which specific curriculum publishers you're considering, but hopefully those descriptions help you to know the difference between the two courses.)

If you are doing it for an umbrella school, you need to check with them to see whether or not they will accept it. I would not count them the same, but maybe your school will.

This post was edited on Dec 05, 2012 10:45 AM

Guess I thought I would go ahead and ask it here.
It's fine that you did. I didn't mean to sound snippy, but when it comes down to the final answer, it isn't going to matter what we say.

LOL, we probably won't all agree anyway.

=)

Electives...again

This post was edited on Dec 09, 2012 04:00 PM

>>I was also planning to use R&S bookkeeping. R&S Math has also some PF interwoven in it, so this is not new to them.
----------------------------------
Yes, some recordkeeping (check writing and a few other things) are included in the elementary books, but the high school course is a full year course, and *very* thorough. Very detailed. It includes virtually EVERYTHING, from check writing to sales invoices, from mortgages to income taxes, and everything in between. In fact, I was just thinking last night that a similar community college course probably doesn't offer much more (if any) than this course, except for the fact that they'd be teaching the modern computerized version of it.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions