Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

History for 6th grade?

History for 6th grade?

I need some new ideas for history--it's just not going well. :( My ds is 12 and in 6th grade. He has some 'attention' issues--nothing officially diagnosed but definitely there.

We are currently using MOH volume III. Let me just say that I *love* Mystery of History--we have used all volumes up to this point. But this is the first year we've done history uncombined (older dd is doing MFW AHL), and I'm noticing that ds just doesn't seem to be getting much out of it. He zones out and can hardly ever answer the questions from the Challenge Cards. It's starting to seem like a waste of time. We have always had this issue with him, to some extent, but it seems much worse now--probably in part because of the step up (longer lessons) of this volume, and partly it's more noticeable now without big sister joining in on the discussion.

Anyway, we have set history aside for now and I'm going to make a decision over Christmas break about what we should do--either tweak MOH to make it work, or do something else. Any ideas? And if we try something else, what? I'm wondering if SOTW would be a better fit (maybe more engaging?), although I do like the Bible emphasis in MOH.

Or maybe even it's time to try a textbook. All we've ever really done is MOH, MFW, and a year or two of Sonlight.

TIA!

re: History for 6th grade?

He has some 'attention' issues--nothing officially diagnosed but definitely there.
Let me guess. He's a science guy that doesn't really care about history to begin with, and 'when can I go do legos, building blocks,etc. ' anything but this boring stuff? "

We've switched our science guy to videos for history. We're doing History Channel videos from the library right now. We did the San Francisco Earthquake today. So far, this has worked the best of anything. It's amazing how much science there is in history.

Ya know, I love MOH too, and we started out the year strong doing Vol 1 w/ my 2nd/6th graders...coloring pages and all. The problem is that it's just not getting done right now. Partly b/c I'm just not motivated to pull it together at the moment due to some life circumstances that we're dealing with, and partly b/c I'd rather them do more reading on their own. And then there's the holidays. Perhaps I'll switch gears to just having the 6th grader read the MOH independently to herself.

Anyways...

I've been having my 2nd grader read through CLP's History for Little Pilgrim's to practice his reading skills, and he's learning lots. He reads this aloud to me. It's a great little book, and so appropriate for his age. And just today, I was considering having my 6th grader just read through BJU's 6th grade history, which is only a one-semester course anyways. If BJU can just do one semester of history for that year, then so can I. ;-) I already own the book, so why not. Perhaps over the holidays I'll get motivated to initiate the MOH once again. I really think they benefit MORE from reading their own material, though. Especially in terms of learning new vocabulary. Not sure what I'm gonna do yet. They read a ton of books from the library on their own, yet they don't want everything to have to be all about history, KWIM?

BJU has their $99 per online subject kit (video only) deal going on. I wonder how interesting Mrs. Moon makes that 6th grade Heritage studies course?

Next year we will do Notgrass ATB, but for now, dd wants to study the ancients.

At least the 3R's are going fabulous for these two.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

I'm sad to say, we've NEVER found a history program that:

a) We love
and
b) I have time to prepare

So, my kids each have their own history textbook that they read on their own each day. And we don't even talk about it. I gave up. On timelines, handson stuff, etc.

Sad, I know, but now that I've stopped pushing so hard for great history we are all a lot happier, lol.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread!

Keniki--EXACTLY! Are you spying on us? LOL I've never thought of using videos, maybe I should check that out. This sounds selfish, but it is so hard for *me* to give up on literature-based history because that is what I love. I know I need to do what works for him, though.

Nancy, I've thought about picking up a BJU history book. That is kind of what we're doing with science, except we're using Abeka. It is going pretty well (but then again, it's science--not history.)

Striving2b, you're not hijacking--that is exactly what I may end up doing! At least it's getting done, right? I feel like with MOH I'm putting in the effort and he's getting ZERO out of it. And yes, at this age I feel like he should be reading more on his own instead of having me read everything to him.

Thanks for all the ideas, you've given me some things to think about!

Oh and striving2b, I meant to ask--what textbooks are you using for history?

We are not in 6th grade, but my 5th grader has just been reading biographies this year. I figure when she finishes her abeka science we may go with a "curriculum ". Not sure yet but this has gone well and gets done.

Keniki--EXACTLY! Are you spying on us? LOL I've never thought of using videos, maybe I should check that out. This sounds selfish, but it is so hard for *me* to give up on literature-based history because that is what I love. I know I need to do what works for him, though.
Nope. I've just got your ds's twin living with me! We started with these:

http://www.amazon.com/America-The-Story-Liev-Schreiber/dp/B003C27X44/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1354141577&sr=8-5&keywords=history+channel+history+of+us

and liked them pretty well. You COULD use these, one episode at a time to spark a little interest, and fill in with literature. I thought of doing that along with investigating particular events a little deeper.

In the meantime, I found some also by The History Channel called "The Decades Collection". We are currently doing 1900-1909 but our libary has the complete set for the entire 20th century. We watched an episode today on the San Francisco Earthquake, and ds thought we should start a timeline. DS SAID THAT !?!? Wow! Maybe we're on to something here.

I think I might slip in a 'today in history' thing too (I'm pretty sure History Channel's website has that available) and add those to the timeline too.

HTH :-)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions