Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Help me get back on track (mfw and ace users)

Help me get back on track (mfw and ace users)

We successfully completed the first year of the mfw cycle and now in CtG.

I'm expecting our sixth baby and as usual have had horrendous morning sickness. Sadly we are only just now starting week 2. Yes I know we're into November. Reading aloud, teaching, etc. has been incredibly difficult.

I wonder if we should just shelve CtG this year and just focus on math and reading. I also thought of bringing in ACE for social studies and science because it's independent but I seem to remember there being a lack of understanding in the "why." Although its been a few years since we used it. I'm also trying to focus on teaching my third child how to read.

Any suggestions? I have also considered using Time4Learning. I hate for them to miss the Ancients year though but at the rate, I just want to move forward.

This post was edited on Nov 05, 2012 07:41 PM

re: Help me get back on track (mfw and ace users)

Depending on the age of your children, if they are on the young side I'd shelve it for a year and come back to it next year.

My oldest child is in 5th grade and my other two school aged are in 3rd and 1st.

Seeing as how it's already November, how about if you shelve it until January? Will you be past your third trimester by then? Just concentrate on the 3 R's between now and then, along with lots of good books and movies that are holiday related. Do a craft, art, or cooking activity whenever you feel like it.

You don't have to chuck the whole year... maybe just wait it out for second semester. Unless of course you anticipate a difficult pregnancy all the way through.

Congratulations, btw! ♥

I have children the same ages as your's (1st, 3rd and 5th) and we're doing CTG, and I'm also trying to teach my youngest to read. But, I'm not pregnant!

I like Kayrenee's suggestion to shelve CTG until January when maybe you'll be feeling better.

Another idea would be to skip the music and art, or let them do that on their own time. My kids would do the art with or without me because they love it so much, and the Music is easy enough to just take along on car rides or play throughout the day.

Also, if you're 5th grader is responsible enough and reads well enough he/she could probably do a lot of the reading for the history portion while your 3rd grader listens and follows along.

Another suggestion would be to continue on, but at a slower pace. You don't have to complete each week in an actual week. You can take a slower pace and maybe finish next summer or early fall. I'm only on week 9 despite starting school in July (!) because we are taking it slowly.

On last suggestion, and this may involve your dh, would be to do CTG in the eves or on weekends when dh is available to help (if he's willing). I often do all of our MFW work two days per week and leave the other 3 days for the three R's. This could maybe work for you, especially if dh is willing to help, but even if he's not you may find it less stressful and work intensive to do CTG two days per week and get it done that way. The Bible portion would be great for daily family devotions.

I've been having a rough time due to a nasty divorce and other challenges in my life right now and I've had to decide whether to ditch CTG or make it work. We're making it work using some of the suggestions I listed above. It really is a wonderful program and every day we complete I am thankful that I didn't ditch it or shelve it. My kids are having so much fun and they are learning so much. They even play egyptian games, write egyptian songs and poems, draw egyptian art work etc. in their spare time!!!!

Congratulations on baby!!!! I hope you are feeling better soon!

http://caffeinatedhomeschooler.blogspot.com/ You might enjoy reading here. She uses ACE and MFW.

HTH,
Paige
www.anointedhsmom.blogspot.com

I'm not familiar with those curriculums, but I just wanted to say I totally understand your position! It seems like the minute I found out I was pregnant I have had horrible morning sickness. 24 hrs a day I'm fighting throwing up and being nauseus. We honestly haven't really done "school" in a month. I've tried to do the 3R's as often as possible, but definately not as often as I feel I should. Luckily we started the beginning of August so I'm not panicking just yet. I was hoping I would be almost over it by now, but the past two days it is getting a lot worse.
I say try your best to do what you can. Maybe you can get your 5th grader to help with the younger two? Mine are 6, 5, and 3 so they are putting up a fight to do anything. They know I'm sick and can sense weakness, lol.

If you don't want to shelve it completely maybe you could just set a goal of finishing one 'day' each week in addition to your Math and Reading. You could decide later if you want to catch up or spread it out over two years.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions