Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Apologia General Science & up

Apologia General Science & up

I'm considering using Apologia's upper level science starting next year when my ds is in 7th grade. What are your thoughts about this program or others for this grade level?

re: Apologia General Science & up

This post was edited on Nov 15, 2012 10:33 PM

General is recommended for 7th, and Physical for 8th, but not required in all states.
NC lists Physical for highschool (but one could certainly do higher sciences if Physical was done in 8th).

Consider how many sciences are required for highschool (NC requires only 3).

Is your ds really into science? Will he be able or want to go further than Biology?
My advice is if so, he can start in 7th w/ General, then he'll be doing Biology in 9th.
But if not, maybe hold off so that he can count Physical for 9th, and in the meantime do something else for 7th, and do General for 8th.
Two of mine did General for 9th. (Some would have a fit over that, I suppose!)

General has about 4 chapters each for different types of science, and since I had already done Physical and Biology w/ my older dd, when my younger two kids did General, I saw that it is, as harp said, a good science to prepare for the next sciences in Apologia.

This post was edited on Oct 18, 2012 10:40 PM

We had never done Apologia until my son started General last year in 7th. He loves it and can work very independently.

Apologia science is great for some families and not for others.

For some students, the conversational tone is really nice. We don't like it. DS especially (Mr. Math and Science) really gets annoyed with it. He likes more of a 'get to the point' curriculum.

I also wish there was more review 'built in'. The study guide questions are supposed to be done AFTER reading the entire chapter. For us, it would be more helpful to put those questions with the section of the chapter that they fit.

The third thing I don't like is that it doesn't cover anatomy in the first biology book. Anatomy is only covered in the Advanced Biology book.

I know it's a great program for some (not running it down at all). IIt just wasn't a good fit for us.

My 7th grader chose Apologia General this year. We are not very far into it, but he likes the conversational style. He typically prefers a more straightforward style, so this surprises me.

I have read some who say it doesn't cover enough and others who say their kids were very well prepared for STEM majors in college. I have decided that we have to go with what works. If I used what some recommend, my ds' eyes would cross and he would retain nothing.

Plus, I have read many reviews that say their kids were very well grounded in apologetics after using this. That is important to me.

Since starting to HS 7 years ago,we have only used Apologia for science. My dd16 has done General, Physical, Biology, Chemistry, and is now doing Physics. She enjoys it very much and has learned a lot. My dd 13 did General last year and is now doing Physical. She also enjoys it. This I can tell bc she doesn't complain about it:)

We are very happy with Apologia, and plan to continue using it all the way through HS.

Thanks for all the feedback. I have no idea what our state's (IL) requirements are for high school science. I suspect it's different for those who are college-bound and those who are not.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions