Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

dyslexia resources in your state

dyslexia resources in your state

What resources (ie, tutoring, special ed consultants, etc) are available to you in your state, as a homeschooling parent of a child who has dyslexia?

I have a feeling that others states offer WAY more options than ours in terms of help for parents who have children who have dsylexia.

I am not asking if you have help from the public school; I am referring to private organizations.

Do you have help locally? is it affordable?

re: dyslexia resources in your state

In my home state we have a Dyslexic tutoring center. The center also has a non-profit part and they offer free O-G tutoring or discounts to families that qualify. In the state I'm in now there are a few certified Barton tutors. The price usually run $40 for 50min.The special services can be pricey but depending on the situation it can be worth it.

thanks..anyone else? Our evals here are about $1900, tutoring is $95 an hour, speech therapy is $75 an hour....it is so much money!

As far as I know the only help for learning disabilities in this state in through the schools. It is free through the school though.

We have a free O/G learning center in the city across from us (so it's technically a different state). It serves the entire area. However, you have to have an official dx which runs $1000+.

The schools are not obligated to help homeschooled kids in my state. What I would love is a curriculum consultant who can help me map out the next few years. I just called one across the country as there is no such thing in my state. My son is struggling with reading comprehension, and I have no idea what to do to help him.

I don't know what is available, but I worked with my dyslexic ds and we did just fine. I researched the heck out of dyslexia and just relaxed and let him learn at his own pace. I remember reading somewhere that an average student can be exposed to a new letter=sound and will master it after 4-5 lessons ("M" sounds like mmmm) but for a dyslexic person, they might have to re-learn it 75-80 times before it sinks in. Yeah. Each letter, each sound, each 'sight word' it just takes LONGER. I think we worked on the short vowel sounds for three years. BUT - he is now 15 and reading at about a 6th grade reading level, which i think is awesome. So - if you don't get the help you need, don't worry - you can do what you need to do if push comes to shove. I did go to a learning center like Sylvan and had him tested so that I could get the formal diagnosis. He may not ever need it though, unless he goes to college.

two best books - How to Reach and Teach Children and Teens with Dyslexia - and a Between the Lions book, can't remember the name, but the tv show was based on OG method and was really great if you can find videos.

We used a video series that was free through the Scottish Rite something-or-other that was a great help in getting me started, but he really hated them. They took a lot of time and after a few months I ditched them and just followed my gut. He just needed extra time and the less stressful I made the whole ordeal the better off we both were.

We had our dd tested at the Scottish Rite. It is free and they were great. They offer some free resources to homeschoolers.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions