Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Apologia Elementary science--notebook/journals

Apologia Elementary science--notebook/journals

On the Apologia website, I am looking at Land Animals of the 6th Day. In the sample section, there is a course notebook that seems to be available for free as a pdf. They also have a notebook/journal for sale. Is there a difference between the two?

Thanks!

re: Apologia Elementary science--notebook/journals

Yes there is...and if you want to see a sample of the published notebooks...go to CBD...they have samples of them there.

We are using those and I feel they are worth the extra expense.

I also find it is expensive for us to print on our printer.

Marne

I agree that they are worth the extra expense. They are thick and have MANY more activities than the free journals. They also offer Junior notebooks.

Last year, I tried Zoology 1 with the free journal, which we quickly dropped, as it wasn't appealing to my dd. This year, I bought the regular notebooking journal to go with Zoology 2. Through the activities in it, I can see that my dd is retaining much more than last year. There is a free schedule, extra "experiments," notebooking pages, comprehension "written narrations," crossword puzzles, and lapbook type pages for each lesson. I'm impressed! It says in the front that you shouldn't expect your child to do every page, so there is some freedom to pick and choose among them.

Thanks. I noticed the schedule in the journal & I really like that. My dd has changed her mind & says she wants the swimming creatures book. Did you guys find that volume to be enjoyable? Are the experiments & projects difficult, requiring obscure items? Thanks for your help.

We are doing swimming creatures. So far we have just finished lesson 2. I don't think there are many obscure items. You will need a box to cover with blue paper and some sort of clay, either colored or with paints, to make a diarama. My dd is loving it!

Here's a PDF that indicates a list of items included in a kit, plus items to buy, to give you an idea of what's needed:
http://www.creationsensation.com/priority_zoology2.pdf

Okay, I have a different opinion. I ordered it and ended up returning it. While there were about 3 times as many activities as the free one, I knew we would not use all (if not most) of them. I also saw that much of it would take away the joy of the course for us, especially since we are already doing notebooking with our history program. So I sent it back. We are on lesson 3 and haven't missed anything because of it. We did, however, take advantage of the free quizzes and printables at the yahoo group, and we are also doing the experiment kit from CBD. We are loving it so far! I'm amazed at the information my son has retained with just narration. I have to admit that it's been purty interesting. ;)

HTH,

Dee :)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions