Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Answers in Genesis vs. Apologia

Answers in Genesis vs. Apologia

I was looking into AIG and saw that they pretty much have in their Our Universe set exactly what I wanted to cover next year. I also liked the Astronomy Apologia.... any one that is familiar with both? Anything that I should watch out for with AIG or Apologia?..Meaning did anyone have problems using these curriculums for younger elementary? I like the way that the AIG books seem to be set up. The way the sample looks you would read just the beginning section for grades 1-2...then another section for grades 3-5 etc.

re: Answers in Genesis vs. Apologia

I have used Apologia's Astronomy with a 3rd grader who is totally fascinated with the solar system. I have to say it did help me to gain a greater appreciation for this part of God's handiwork. I would not have wanted to use it with a child any younger than 3rd grade though. It's pretty meaty.

I have also used AIG's physical science with the same student when he was in 7th grade. I do think I like the AIG set up a little better, but mostly because Apologia's books are based on notebooking which is not really a good fit for me. With the AIG books you do read the same material for each grade level, but the questions and activities are meatier for the older children. If I were to get the opportunity to homeschool again (other people's children or grandchildren) I would use the AIG books as my curriculum especially since they include physical science and chemistry (which Apologia does not have at this level), and I would buy the Apologia books for 'library books'.

HTH :-)

I can't speak for Apologia but I used the Our Universe set with my boys last year and we all really enjoyed it. There were some neat activities and experiments.

I read the main section most of the time even though my younger son was in Gr. 2 and I didn't think it was over his head at all. But it will depend on your kids and how much they like science.

Just a vote for the other contender. I have never gotten through an AIG (tried twice), but we always love and finish the elementary Apologia books. We have completed all of them that are currently out except for Zoo 1. No reason, we just haven't done that one yet.

Also just another vote for the other side. We have used several Apologia books and my ds found them very interesting and enjoyed the activities. We used them in HOD programs so he did do notebooking, but he likes notebooking. We used one AIG book the Weather one and he found it dryer and much less interesting. I think part of it is that it had worksheets to fill out which isn't really his thing. It also isn't written as much in the living book style which is what he is used to. I really thing some of it depends on if your kids like textbooks, or a more living book feel.

My children love the Apologia books. I did try God's design "Planet Earth" when my oldest was in 3rd Gradee and before AIG started publishing it. (When it all was in B&W) She found it very dry and boring. I am now considering using their Physical science set for my very science oriented son next year along with Apologia's Chemistry and Physics book that is supposed to come out in the spring..

My children love the Apologia books. I did try God's design "Planet Earth" when my oldest was in 3rd Gradee and before AIG started publishing it. (When it all was in B&W) She found it very dry and boring. I am now considering using their Physical science set for my very science oriented son next year along with Apologia's Chemistry and Physics book that is supposed to come out in the spring..

DS loved AIG science. We did life in 2nd grade and now he still remembers a lot from two years ago. We tried Apologis Astronomy that same year and it was way too wordy for him. He likes short and sweet and to the point. He is the kid who likes to read science encyclopedias for fun. Apologia just was not his style. With AIG we did the lesson and then had time to do more science that was completely different topic altogether. I also added books here and there to go with bertain topics just to give different views on the same topic.
I believe it depends on student style which will work better. If they love to draw and write, and don't mind listening or reading about something over 3 pages that could be said in one or two paragraphs, then Apologia probably is better. If they like short and sweet and to the point, but still learn and remember, then AIG is probably better choice.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions