Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

First Start Reading or Saxon Phonics k

First Start Reading or Saxon Phonics k

If you have used either of these programs can you tell me what you liked and didn't like about them?

I am considering these for my almost 5 yo dd. She can name most of her letters, but doesn't know what sounds they make.

Thanks for any help!

re: First Start Reading or Saxon Phonics k

I haven't used First Start Reading, but I have used Saxon Phonics K several years when I was still teaching.

Saxon is very scripted and methodical, and has little readers that you put together for your child to read. It also has a list of suggested titles you can use. If you don't like the idea of everything laid out in such a methodical way you won't like Saxon. If you need a program that will hold your hand the entire way, you'll love it. It's very review oriented, also.

On the whole I did like the program. It teaches limited diacritical marks and syllabication, which is supposed to help the child figure out what the word is on their own. I'm really not sure how much of that sticks at the Kindergarten age, but if you use the program through the second grade (I've used all the levels) most kids will have the tools they need to read any word.

Saxon also incorporates sight words. I'm neither for or against the use of sight words. I really think it depends on the way the child learns. My next youngest granddaughter is so right brained it hurts, and her best method is the use of a lot of sight words. She has learned all the phonics she needs, but the process is so slow and laborious for her (even at the fourth grade level) that we used the picture sight words for her.

Overall Saxon is a great program; you can't go wrong with it. I'm sure that most phonics programs are good in their own way. It's just what you are most comfortable using! Kay

re: First Start Reading or Saxon Phonics k

I have tried a million curriculums and nothing have I disliked, nor has a child disliked, more than saxon phonics.

K was OK. But it first...they have so much marking on each word that one day my daughter cried to me that she couldn't read the words for all the markings. Stuff like 'c' needs a 'k back' where you put a line behind it to make it look like a c to remember it makes the /c/ sound. But it seemed like every single letter had a marking on it. It went waaaay over board.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions