Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Is learning to diagram sentences necessary???

Is learning to diagram sentences necessary???

My older kids are doing ACE English 5th grade paces. They are having to diagram sentences. Of course they hate it and really do not understand it. I never liked it and really don't see the point in it. Please tell me the pint in diagraming sentences.

re: Is learning to diagram sentences necessary???

It's a tool to identify parts of speech, but definitely not necessary. My daughter did almost no diagramming and is now an English major. She is in her Jr. year now & has never encountered any reference to diagramming in a college class.

I know for my children diagramming sentences has made it much simpler for them to pick out the subjects, predicates, predicate nouns, predicate adjectives, transitive, intransitive verbs... and so on. We don't necessarily draw the lines and such that some require anymore but we label sentences above the words.

Standardized testing has been a breeze in the Grammar section for them since we did this. However in saying that I would say that as long as your children can pick out those things in sentences then diagramming probably doesn't need to be done. Visual learning just helps my kids tremendously.

Nope!
If it helps your child then it would be a good thing. But for some it is a source of irritation and stress. No good and doesn't aid in learning. If your child is not wired that way I would skip it.

dh and I have talked about this quite a bit, and we believe that learning to diagram sentences is a good skill to learn, not because they'll have to diagram sentences later on in their lives, but because it's good exercise for the brain! It's making them think, so that's not a bad thing. Even if it didn't teach them specific skills for learning to be better speakers and writers of the English language, it would still be good for logic and reasoning.

I've been there, with having a child who just didn't enjoy diagramming. When ds was in 3rd grade he was having a lot of trouble picking out the right words from the sentences. Now he's in 4th grade, and he is doing SO much better. For a lot of children, it takes time for all of this to make sense to them. So, hang in there!

Rod and Staff is heavy into diagramming. Easy Grammar does no diagramming. Both are good programs. I think for some people the diagramming is a good tool for learning, while for others it is hopelessly confusing.

I personally could go either way with the diagramming. *I* like it.....my dc don't like it. We are doing EG this year (instead of Rod and Staff. So far, so good on the EG....)

In this house, yes, it's necessary to learn. Do they have to use that tool all the time? No...unless they want to. I have some that like it, some that don't. But at least they know they have another thinking tool in their tool box by which to break down the English language. I find my visual learners get the most from the diagramming.

I feel the same about microscopes, telescopes, and other tools as well. I make sure they get exposure, learn what they are, how to use them, and it if those tools are helpful, then they may use them more often as needed.

The nice thing about ACE English is that the diagramming does not happen all the time. They address it and then move on.

I actually have some kids that think it's fun to do, sort of like a puzzle. My 15 ds looks forward to the diagramming sections, and I have actually seen him USE the diagramming on his own when trying to understand some sentence structures in his writing. (It's especially helpful when searching for clauses within a sentence). So, yes, it's a VERY helpful tool for some. Whether you require it in YOUR homeschool is entirely up to you, though.

*Also, I think it helps to understand a foreign language/grammar better as well. One thing that I appreciate about ACE English is that they still have the kids conjugating verbs, which seems like a lost art in some other programs. ACE English is VERY thorough.

Susan wise Bauer,the author of the well trained mind , story of the world, English and writing professor at an university , thinks its VERY important to learn diagramming , in order to have better writing skills.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions