Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Essentials in Writing (grade 5 and up)

Essentials in Writing (grade 5 and up)

Has anyone used or is using (grade 5 and up) Essentials in Writing? I am wondering if people have found the program to be advanced, or if it is about right for the grade level it indicates.

This post was edited on Sep 11, 2012 02:21 PM

re: Essentials in Writing (grade 5 and up)

We are using EIW 6 this year--Of course, we are only two weeks into it, so I can't really comment, only that my dd seems to really like it. The curriculum is only covering grammar right now and hasn't got to writing. DD is coming off of Abeka grammar which she absolutely detested, so I think anything we switched to would be positive.
If you want advanced, at least for grammar, then Abeka would do the trick--if a kid does all their grammar, they are going to KNOW grammar, but the risk is they will have convulsions every time the book comes off the shelf...
I was much less impressed with Abekas writing, at least the assignments that were in the LA book, so I usually assigned myown.---

This post was edited on Sep 12, 2012 06:32 AM

We're doing 7th and 8th grade this year. Last year we did the 6th grade level with DD. It was a complete hit. The DVD portion of the lessons are detailed, but brief. The exercises in the workbook are varied and well thought out. It's not at all like
other open ended writing programs we've used (Jump In or Write Shop) nor is it very rigid and structured like Rod and Staff, BJU, or Abeka. I think it's in the middle somewhere.
I just had to try it and see. For us, it was a fit.
DD loves listening to Mr. Stephens. He has enthusiasm
to beat the band and explains WHY we use things in our writing without droning on for a long time. I love that we can reach him directly by phone if we have a question or concern.
He's more than happy to support his materials.
EIW goes through high school writing which is another plus.
I love that I don't have to teach writing anymore. I can sit
and watch along with the children and that is all I need to be able to help them on a given assignment. It's not boring for me in the least. (I love English though)

HTH,
Michelle32

I completely agree with Michelle32. We did 6th grade last year, and it was a hit, so we will continue with 7th for that son and as soon as it is ready 11th for my oldest son. Beginning in 7th grade there is less formal grammar taught by itself with more focus directly on using the grammar in writing. Complete, concise, easy to use, manageable lessons, seems right on target.

Louise

Question:

Does the teacher on the video actually teach students before him, or is he talking to a static camera that gives no feedback/response to his lectures? That's the only beef I have with BJU DL. When a teacher sees the reaction of students pertaining to what they are teaching, I think it sometimes helps them to be better communicators and pace things better. Not that BJU is bad, but I've just noticed a difference in that when we've used other video programs like A Beka or MUS.

The early elementary stuff from EIW seems a little advanced to me. I think it would go right over my ds's head, actually. I've only just viewed the samples, though, and I'm not a huge fan of teaching little people the whole writing process when they're just beginning to learn to spell and write sentences well. :-/

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions