Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

looking for a good writing program for 6th grade....is anything on dvd?

looking for a good writing program for 6th grade....is anything on dvd?

My dh and I are about ready to place our order for schooling, and are trying to find some sort of writing class, for 6th grade level. We really prefer something on dvd, as I'm also teaching 2 children to read and have my plate pretty full , as well with 2 toddlers and 2 high schoolers.

I appreciate your suggestions!

re: looking for a good writing program for 6th grade....is anything on dvd?

Perhaps you could look into Essentials In Writing. We have it on the shelf ready to start next week. It has DVD lessons and a workbook. Not having used it yet, I can't comment on how well it teaches, but I have heard so many good things about it. I'm looking forward to starting.

I was also going to mention Essentials in Writing. We have it sitting on shelf to use also.

I wish I could give some feedback as one who has used it, but it is brand new to us this year. As a matter of fact I think the program is a fairly new one, not sure.

However, I'd encourage you to visit their website and find out more about it there.

I emailed the author with a couple of questions and he was very prompt in returning and answer.

Susan

Institute for Excellence in Writing's Student Writing Intensive could work. I know many recommend the TWSS videos along with it because that teaches us how to teach in the IEW way, but although I own it I've found it's a nice reference but not 100% necessary if you're using the SWIs.

I've slacked off on writing with my oldest and I plan on using SWI B at an accelerated pace and then he'll move on to SICC B.

They also have an awesome return policy. I had something I bought from them sitting on my shelf for over a year and we never used it, but they still took it back with no questions asked. I've returned things we used that after a few months I felt wasn't going to work for us and again they took it all back no questions asked and in both instances they even returned the cost of shipping (as long as you don't do expedited shipping, if you do they'll return what it would cost for regular shipping) and paid for the return shipping as well.

~kel

I was just about to post IEW. For the 6th grade I would get the SWI-A or SWI-B. It is all you need!

We love it!!!

Blessings,

Dee

ps If your son is a reluctant writer, I'd go with level A, if he has been writing all along and not a ruluctant writer, then I'd go with level B. Same teachings, different stories and intensity per level.

Thank you! We will look into it! A million times~THANK YOU!!!!

Essentials in Writing is excellent!

We used EIW 6th grade last year and it worked well for us - in fact both of my ds will use it this year for 7th and 11th grades. The lessons are well organized, not overwhelming yet get the job done well and it is nice to have the DVD teacher do the teaching at an affordable price! We did supplement with Daily grams for continual review last year, and I'm choosing to have my 7th grader do Easy Grammar alongside it this year, as I think he needs more grammar instruction than what is provided. However, many don't supplement grammar from what I've heard.

If you do choose to use Essentials 6th grade ... I have it for sale on the Swap Board :)

Louise in WA

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions