Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Is Apologia Botany too young for an 8th grader?

I have a friend who loaned me the Apologia Astronomy and Botany book. I was planning on using the Astronomy book for my son going into 6th. I know these books are designed through 6th grade but didn't know if it would be too young for my dd13. She is 'young' for her age and not sciency at all. Up until now they have combined for science. I used AIG the last two years and am not interested in that any longer. I read reviews for the General Science that it's not very good.

This post was edited on Aug 06, 2012 02:53 PM

re: Is Apologia Botany too young for an 8th grader?

In my opinion, I think it's fine to use and we'll be doing something similar. It's not high school science yet, let them still enjoy the learning process before they "have to take" specific heavier sciences. Botany fits int the life sciences category and she'll be studying life systems and basic plant cellular structure. If she hasn't had any of this yet, it would be a great way to introduce it prior to high school biology.

If you're daughter in interested in plants, then it would be a good fit and you can always add supplemental books, dvd's and labs.

**If you've not used Apologia before, they present material from a young earth perspective (a literal 7 day creation period) in each of their elementary level texts. Some people like to know this prior to purchasing/using a science text.

Not at all. Especially when using the journal along with it. I would also suggest having her do as many experiments and extras as possible. Extras are found within the journal.

http://homeschoolreviews.christianbook.com/notebooking-journal-exploring-creation-with-botany/jeanne-fulbright/9781935495062/pd/549506?event=1016AEM|1123931|102656

hth,
~Rosie

Thank you for your replies.

I made the mistake of looking at the Anatomy book too. They all look so good. I've heard such great things about the extra notebook as well. Too many choices.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions