Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

going on 5th year of hs and still lost

I started out using McRuffy Phonics and Math from k-3 and have continued to use them, until this past year and stopped the language arts worksheets.

I have read about Charlotte Mason and started using that way of learning.

My big question is what is the difference between Charlotte Mason method and classical?? I seem to use both of those, but I always feel I'm leaving something out.

This year we started doing the Prairie Primer and the kids (well dd, ds doesn't seem to care) enjoy it. I don't mind it but it is a lot of work for me.

I need some advice from some seasoned hs moms that are relaxed and do not use worksheets. What are the pros and cons of both of those types of schooling.

I am currently trying to schedule out our upcoming year. we don't start back til Sept. I'm not sure if scheduling it is stressing me out or figuring out which method works best.

Sorry for the vent, I appreciate any advice.

re: going on 5th year of hs and still lost

Heart of Dakota is a combination of CM and classical. That's what we use here.

Charlotte Mason was a classical educator. If you completely follow CM then you are following the classical model.
Frankly, I think that some publishers use the name "Charlotte Mason" just because they know it's popular, but in reality their methods do not resemble CM.
The Simply Charlotte Mason website is easy to navigate, contains a basic curriculum outline for free and has a helpful message board. I would suggest that you browse there if you are interested in CM.

Ambleside Online is also good. I'm no expert. on either classical or CM, but the don't look quite the same to me.

There is a difference between the two: classical education is much more intense than CM although one may use some of the same techniques, books, or elements in either one. Did that make sense?

I would recommend spending some time on simply charlotte mason and ambleside online. Both are excellent resources even if you only implement some charlotte mason style in your learning. I have purchased some items from SCM and have been pleased.

HTH

Use what works for you. After trying to not use worksheets, and lots of Charlotte Mason copywork, Susan Wise Bauer, Karen Andreola, etc. I moved back to worksheets. We still use copywork/dictation for spelling, and we do Latin, but traditional worksheets work really well for my kids. It keeps them focused on the lesson and gives them something to look at. I have learned to love worksheets.

http://simplycharlottemason.com/2009/06/17/charlotte-mason-method-vs-classical-approach/

Here is one brief description of the difference

I'm finishing my 6th yr and I still have challenges/moments, so don't feel bad. ;-)

I have the PP and even the FUFI to use, but it does seem to be a lot for me as the instructor. So, yah, I understand what you're saying.

I think right now, I am finally coming into something that will help me feel good about using another approach but still give me a bit of the structure I need as well. I love the simply charlotte mason site that is referenced here. It has lots of stuff and I'm drawn to so much of it. But, after all the switching I've done, along w/ what I need in this state, I need to use what gets done vs what I dream about. (MFW seems to give me that great balance that I need as well as the dream.)

I love the idea of CM, and would so love to use it completely, but I honestly am not quite there yet for full implementation. (You might be, though.) So, don't feel bad about where you are or where you want to be. It's just been these last few months that has given me some insight and brought me to the point of being able to make this decision.

It's OK. Take what you've learned so far and add it to what you search to see where you go.

K

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions