Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Okaaaay......I guess we need workbooks for math! I want to pull my hair out!

Okaaaay......I guess we need workbooks for math! I want to pull my hair out!

As much as I like R&S math, I need to accept that getting ds to copy problems onto paper, is more of a battle than I want to take on.

He's been able to write in the 3rd gr text, but he completely shut down upon thoroughly looking through the 4th gr text. The problems are too close together. I know many will read this and think I need to tell him to just deal with. But he's trying so hard to catch up. ( he's on lesson 94 of the 3rd gr book, going into 5th gr.)

So now I'm looking at workbooks! Please give me any input.

CLE-I've used this, then switched back to R&S due to a few reasons. He last did LU 304.

Horizons-always stayed away from this after reading it was advanced and the TM is severely lacking.

BJU-same as Horizons, except I read the TM is too helpful, requiring a lot of prep and props.

MCP- I've read this is wonderful but lacks any review.

ACE-I looked at this today and it is way too busy for him.

Math Mammoth-too advanced,pages too cluttered.

The reason I'm seeking workbooks, is because he's shut down when viewing online samples of computer/DVD -based programs.

Ds can't handle cluttered pages and is a strong visual learner-he gets very impatient during my "shortest" white board lessons.

Any ideas? I'm also wondering about long term- through per algebra.

TIA

Christy

re: Okaaaay......I guess we need workbooks for math! I want to pull my hair out!

Rather than switch programs again, could you maybe accomodate him for a while and make worksheets for him from R&S? I know it would be a lot of work for you, but it might be worth typing up the problems (or even writing them by hand) so you can stick with a program that you like. Maybe you can transition him to copying the problems onto paper himself at some point.

This post was edited on Jul 20, 2012 08:45 PM

I guess we need workbooks for math! I want to pull my hair out!

Jump at Home -- See Timberdoodle Catalog

re: Okaaaay......I guess we need workbooks for math! I want to pull my hair out!

One of the reasons I switched from R&S to CLE was the workbook issue. I don't think it is a trivial issue.

If R&S works well, perhaps you should consider copying the problems for him. In essence, you would be making your own worksheets.

I love CLE for the reasons you mention. For elementary, I've used BJU, MUS, A Beka, ACE, and even Saxon over the last 10 years with various dc, and CLE is by far my favorite if it's a good fit for the child. I've used 300-600 so far, and I'm going to start my 7 yo in the 200's this fall. Of course, those other programs have some unique teaching strategies that I've picked up over the years, and admittedly, I do apply some of those little helps to teaching CLE on occasion. I'd probably do that with any program, though. LOL CLE is a great program, IMO! Every one of my kids that has done CLE math so far really enjoys doing it. I guess we'll see how my 2nd grader will do with it pretty soon here.

I feel your pain.
I'm considering switching from CLE to Horizon for my 8yo.
I just ordered a Spectrum math workbook for my 13 yo.
Its tough to get math right.

We use CLE, too. My ds is going into 5th and is in the 400s. I'm not sure which LU off the top of my head, but I think he is about 4-5 LUs before the 500 level and we'll skip 501.

I went and looked at R&S's 3rd grade TOC and it looks like your ds is still working through his multiplication and division facts. If he hasn't learned them all then I would stop the text for a bit and just take 2 weeks to get them memorized. He can learn them quickly using multiplication grids and practicing flash cards and then just show him that the fact families help you with division.
You can print off your own grids and mixed practice sheets using the Basic Math worksheets available on www.WorksheetWorks.com

Once he has all his facts down, have him take the placement test for CLE again and see where he places. Since, CLE is spiral/incremental, you might want to touch on a few topics he misses in the first LU for review. I'm thinking he may need a refresher on place value to the hundredths place, equal measurements, and capacity. (Basically, things that are on the reference chart)

Then, you can always speed things along in CLE by doing the new section of two lessons plus the story problems, but only one review section unless your ds is not grasping it all and needs the extra review. Don't try to get too far ahead of yourself because his future success will depend on a strong foundation of the basics, but you know him best and there are times when he will be able to move ahead a bit quicker.
The quizzes are a great indicator of that.

I did have my ds do 2 lessons for a while, but it is not easy. Right now he does one lesson a day, even most days in the summer and is able to get through them in about 30 minutes.

I plan on switching my ds to Chalk dust math eventually, maybe 6th grade. CLE has been good to us. I love the clean and uncluttered workbooks, too.

Oh, I forgot to ask. You said you switched from CLE for many reasons. Want to share those? Maybe CLE is not for your ds after all depending on what they are.

I've never used MCP math, but I just looked at it on CBD and the workbook pages look good to me and it's affordable. Looks to be mastery like R&S, too. It might work if CLE is not going to be a good fit.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions