Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Landry Academy review

Landry Academy review

Wanted to share our review of Landry Academy in case any of you all are interested.

Since I work part time, I was looking for some online classes for my Jr. High age son to work on independently. We had successfully completed a class with debrabell.com and were very happy with them. However, Ms. Bell's classes are more generally geared to the high schooler...and we aren't quite there yet.

I signed my son up for two summer classes as a "trial run". My son enjoyed both classes immensely, particularly the science class. One key feature of the classes is that they are "live"...with interaction between the teacher and student and between students. The students wear microphone/headsets so they can communicate with the teacher. And the students are able to type messages to each other and the teacher via a scrolling IM box where everyone can see. Private messages/questions can also be sent to the teacher. There is also a white board where students can actually draw/write in answers to particular problems that need that kind of space. All of this is controlled well by the teacher.

My son not only learned a lot (he asked me why we had never used Friendly Chemistry before...he LOVED that book), but he liked interacting with the other students. He often would tell me about different students, commenting on how well they write, or some personal story they may have shared.

The teachers are fantastic and are easily accessible either by phone, email, or live office hours online. Everything is accessible to the parent...assignments, gradebook, syllabus, etc. so the parent can easily monitor the students progress.
Landry offers classes from elementary ages on up.

The cost is in line with other online classes, but can be prohibitive to some. If you are interested, I suggested planning ahead, as deep discounts are offered the earlier you sign up. Signing up in January/February prior to the next school year offers the deepest (20%??) discounts. And they are very flexible about changing classes around at no cost if you change your mind about what you want to take. They even have an option of not choosing classes ahead, but able to sign up to take advantage of discount.

Overall, Landry has met our needs beautifully. They offer a wide variety of classes...so if you want help in one subject, it may be a great option.

jules

re: Landry Academy review

Thanks Jules!

I just signed my daughter up for two courses an hour ago before reading your post. She paid for them with her own earnings from working and is so excited. She wanted to take Chemistry but it was full. She chose logic and a writing course.
I'm glad you posted this.

Great information.

My sons will be taking classes with Landry Academy starting next month.

My younger son will be taking Pre-Chemistry in the spring which uses Friendly Chemistry. He will be taking Pre-Biology in August using Science Sheperd Life Science. My older son will be taking Chemistry and the elective, MBA in a semester starting in August.

You are so right about registering early for the largest discount. I registered over a year ago, and paid by checks over the course of six months.

We also did a Landry 2-Day Lab Intensive this year. We did Biology and it was great. My boys want to do more of them. We may do Chemistry this year, if it works with the schedule.

sbalou--
My son is taking the pre-physics in the Fall and pre-biology in the Spring. Let me know how your son likes the pre-biology class. Glad you mentioned the book, I still need to order it.

I did want to add that if your child misses a class, they can watch a recording of it to get any missing information.

jules

Thanks for sharing! :)

Michelle32

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions