Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Leaving MFW to Mystery of History or.....?

Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to figure out my curriculum for the upcoming year and I'm going in circles with the history part of it. We used MFW ECC last year but I'm not liking the book list for CTG. I loved the teacher's manual with the scheduling but don't want to stay with the program for that reason alone. I've been reading reviews about Mystery of History and was wondering what else would I need to make this a complete program?

I also have been peaking at HOD CTC but I've done a HOD program before and am not sure I want to go in that direction again...
Any other suggestions for history would be appreciated!

Thank You!
Michelle

Do you plan to come back to MFW after ancients or do you not like the book lists for other years too?

I would suggest looking at Veritas Press. Their ancients books are listed under 2nd grade, but don't worry, most of the items are well beyond that level.

Simply Charlotte Mason has a free booklist on the website and you can purchase a guide which contains the schedule and suggested activities.

re: Leaving MFW to Mystery of History or.....?

I'm not sure if I want to come back to MFW or not. Once I find something that works, I tend to stick with it. That's why I was searching for a new history curriculum hoping to stay with it for the complete cycle.

Thanks for the suggestions!

We have MOH and we liked it. We didn't use anything but the textbook though. We did the activities, made up some of our own.

I'm thinking of going with Diana Waring in January though, because I think it will wok better with a broader age group.

another one to look at... biblioplan.

You might also want to check out Illuminations by Bright Ideas Press. It's a full curriculum built around MOH. If I remember correctly, all you have to add is math.
http://illuminations.brightideaspress.com/

Another good option might be TruthQuest History. You would have a broad range of book options to chose from. Although, it isn't necessarily scheduled out for you like MFW would be.

I could've written this exact same post!!

We picked up MoH and fell in love with it.

But something still felt a little off somewhere.

I went ahead and bought Biblioplan for Littles--so I'll use MoH as my spine and use the BP extras for my 1st and 3rd graders.

I JUST got the Family Guide and the Companion in today and WOW! If I'd seen this first, I wouldn't have bought all the bells and whistles from MoH. LOL Oops!

We'll see how this year goes, but I just may move forward with BP, continuing to use MoH as my spine.

BTW, MoH is fine as is and is great, but I wanted a bit more planning, scheduling, etc. that could be geared more to the different ages. There are lots of ideas on the MoH yahoo group, but I wanted something even more structured--similar to MFW, but history only with more age specific things.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions