Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Need help with Apologia Science for Elementary

Need help with Apologia Science for Elementary

Thanks in advance for any help!

What I am needing to know if in what order are you supposed to do the Elementary Sciences for Apologia?

Do you start with Exploring Creation Astronomy? Or can you do them in any order?

re: Need help with Apologia Science for Elementary

You can do them in any order. The lapbbooks, journals, etc are optional. You can find some nice helps at donnayoung.org.

You are supposed to cover chapter 1 from Zoology I, first. I believe it is available online so you don't have to buy that book in order to cover it. It covers classification.

Someone on the yahoo group suggested this order:
Botany
Astronomy
Zoology 1
Zoology 2
Zoology 3
Human Anatomy & Physiology

There will be a Chemistry/Physics book coming out in a few years.

I think you can do it in any order that you like. We are starting first with Zoology 1 next school year then we will probably to Astronomy.

Now see, I would put Botany farther down the list. Astronomy seems easier to me than Botany, especially if you're starting this series at a young age.

Here's what the author says on her website in answer to the question, "With which book should I begin?"

"The books do not need to be done in any certain order. I recommend you begin with which ever book you and your children believe to be the most interesting right now. Follow your interests.

If you choose to do Zoology 2 before Zoology 1, your child will not get a detailed look into animal classification or endangered species. These two topics are discussed in the first lesson of Zoology 1. However, this first lesson of Zoology 1 is the sample lesson available for download from Apologia's website. You are free to print it up and discuss these topics with your children if you desire for them to learn about them before you begin Zoology 2."

I would also put Botany further down the list. We just finished it, and I'm glad we didn't try it when my dc were younger. We've also done Astronomy and Zoology 1. Astronomy was definitely the easiest.

If I had to do it over again, I'd probably do them in this order:

Astronomy
Zoology 1
Zoology 2
Zoology 3
Botany
Anatomy

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions