Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

first time homeschool.. mfw..wp or diana waring history revealed unit study

first time homeschool.. mfw..wp or diana waring history revealed unit study

Hello there

first time teaching this year (6th and 7th grade)

can you help me decide which unit study would be more user friendly for me and a good balance of fun and learning for my kids
I am having the hardest time deciding :(

mfw ecc with extras for 6th and 7th grade

wp catw

diana waring history revealed: world empires world missions world wars

re: first time homeschool.. mfw..wp or diana waring history revealed unit study

Well, I like WP, but would not pick CATW as a good starting place. Their Animals studies and American History are much better representations of their programs.

Well, I like WP, but would not pick CATW as a good starting place. Their Animals studies and American History are much better representations of their programs.

Are you settled on one of those 3? I haven't used any of them, other than one year with WP. I can recommend another program that we LOVE, but I don't want to muddy the waters for you.
Laura

I'd choose MFW ECC. We did this 3 years ago and my children can still remember some details, plus we still use many of the books as reference books to complement our current studies. Don't miss out on the Kingdom Tales book that is part of the deluxe program. I might put that at the #1 family read aloud we've ever done in 6 years of homeschooling, certainly in the top 5.

Are you settled on one of those 3? I haven't used any of them, other than one year with WP. I can recommend another program that we LOVE, but I don't want to muddy the waters for you.
Laura
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if you have any suggestions I would love to hear them.. I wanted to do something with world history and some science mixed in bc my son will be doing apologia general and I did not want to try to add in another science for my daughter unless I have to (the school they go to now in 6th they only do science and history once a week every other week)

MFW ECC and the Diana Waring course you mentioned are completely different subjects. The first is world geography, cultures and people groups, and is very missions-focused. The second is world history. So I guess they're similar (both "world") but with a different focus.

ECC is a lot of mapwork. You'll travel the world by continent, beginning with an Intro unit and then North America, and then spreading out. It does cover the Middle East, but not so much on Israel specifically because the following year in Creation to the Greeks, Israel and that area is covered *extensively*. However, you could easily add a week or two in Israel on your own if you wanted to (using the format of the lessons on other countries).

Older students like yours doing ECC will do additional research assignments on each country. Instructions for this are in the manual, as you see assignments for "advanced" or older students in the smaller grid on the right hand side of the start of each week's lessons. (If you pull up the sample lessons on the MFW website, you'll see what I mean.)

As you go to each continent of the world, you'll learn about their religions, lifestyle/culture, and prayer needs in that region of the world. You'll read about missionaries who've been to that part of the world and the work they did there, as well as Bible translation and how that works. You'll study through the book of Matthew, and the spread of the Gospel will be a primary focus throughout the year. Prayer for these other people groups is also a big part of ECC.

For science, you'll learn about land forms, climates, and other topics of geology throughout the world as you come to it in each continent. You'll also do nature walks/study and drawing. (You'd be surprised how much these activities contribute to a child's attention level and observation skills! Which of course is an important element in the study of science.) However, your 7th grader might need to do a separate science (MFW recommends Apologia General for 7th) if he or she is ready for it. Some folks do wait until 8th grade to do General, though. You can have your 7th grader do all of the science in ECC + extra books (this is mentioned in the teacher notes in the manual), or do a completely separate science.... however you want to handle that.

Some folks don't like ECC because it's repetitive. Well, a country is a country is a country..... so yes, it's repetitive in that sense. But each one is different and unique in its own way. That's kinda' the whole point of doing this study.... to learn about the uniqueness of each one, and particularly their various religions and prayer needs. The focus isn't meant to be on the "geography" alone, but on the people within each country. (Although the geography game that's included is a fun and helpful way to learn the geography, too!)

Just as the people in each country are different, so are their foods, crafts, tools, homes, lifestyles, weather and housing needs..... So this is where variety comes in, too. Recipes and hands-on projects are another tool to show the differences among people around the world.

MFW recommends ECC at the *beginning* of the history cycle (when most families just coming into MFW have younger kids), but I'll tell you a little secret..... it's great for older kids, too, because of the abstract concepts of prayer and UNDERSTANDING more about different people groups and the rest of the world. ECC is meant to teach to the *heart*, and to motivate the students to WANT to share the love of Christ with the people of the world. One or both of your students might even develop a special love for a particular people group. And because the Gospel is so prevalent in this course, your kids should be challenged in their OWN relationship with Christ, as well. ECC is not only a study of other people around the WORLD, but serves as an evangelistic tool to your own family and neighbors, too.... or possibly opening the door for one of your children to desire to go into missions work themselves one day. :o)

HTH. Have you browsed the Archives on the MFW forums to see what others have done with ECC? Here's a couple of links:

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=0a927b5a59b9c340656ad1c95cece52c

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=15&sid=0a927b5a59b9c340656ad1c95cece52c

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=8&sid=0a927b5a59b9c340656ad1c95cece52c

As much as I prefer Diana Waring, for a first time hser, of those two I would suggest MFW. Other than that I would either suggest Heart of Dakota or Learning Adventures.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions