Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

MFW with one child

MFW with one child

I'm currently only homeschooling my 11yo 5th grader dd. But I really like the looks MFW ECC. I would like to focus on geography this year (We've done Abeka 3 & 4 in the past, dd REALLY just liked to read books about history, so used 4 has a spine).

I've thought about Beautiful Feet too. Looking for a more literature approach to history/Geagraphy this year.

Would MFW ECC with just one child work okay? Does the teacher manual focus on only multi-age families?

Thank you, Heidi

re: MFW with one child

No advice here, but I am curious about this as well.

It is great to use with one child. Here is my review. Hope it helps!
What we loved about MFW ECC was that when you were studying a particular continent, in science, you studied the geography of that continent. There was the forest (land, animals, etc.), for example while learning about North Amer. and then tropics (land, animals, etc.) while learning about Africa. I don't recommend skipping the science. It was just so cool how it all went together. The missionary stories tied in with the continent being studied also. The Geography Game gave my, then 3rd grade son a basic knowledge of the world and he loved the huge test I gave him at the end of the year to put the correct country with the correct continent and in the right spot. He missed 2 out of over 100. The music also correlated with the continent. It was fun doing some of the crafts and making some of the food for the continent we were studying. It gave him a general exposure to the world and how we are different and yet still the same. It was just a great all around program. I wouldn't get hung up on the "book basket". We went to the library a few times and tried to find some of the recommended titles but honestly, having the ability to look up any additional pictures or info on the internet was enough. If you have no problem doing the book basket then go for it but I think some people shy away from this program b/c they aren't near a library or don't go and it really isn't a make it or break it thing. Try doing it as written for one month and you will see what I am talking about. If you decide it isn't great as written then go ahead and sub in other stuff...but I bet you won't want to. :) :)

There is an article in a recent issue of Home Educating Family about a family who reps for MFW at conventions. They only have one child, and MFW has worked very well for them. Check out the magazine's website--you may be able to access a digital copy of the issue.

I will most likely be using MFW next year with my 6th grader. He is not an only child but my dd will be using MFW's high school materials so basically he will be doing the younger cycle on his own. I think it will actually work out really well.

The manual never references one child nor does it refer to a group of students.

It's not like some curriculums made for a classroom, BJU comes to mind, wher e alot of the activities are group activities.

Nope, MFW can be done for one or for many. It never references it, nor do any activities require a group of studens.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions