Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

TT Math 5.

TT Math 5.

My friend let me borrow this for my 10yo. He is using the BJU Math but it's not a good fit for him. Is there anything I should know that would make this go smoother? I've never used TT before and I'm excited to try it.

re: TT Math 5.

I guess I would ask if you have the first version or newer version cd's? I say this because I have the originals and it had a couple of errors within the program. It will say your dc's answer is incorrect and it cannot be overridden except to just delete the problem. That said it was only a couple problems. I don't remember where it was in the program. I did call and they just told me to delete the problem as it was an error. They had since corrected with the newer updated cd's. I chose not to upgrade at the time as we were almost complete, so I guess it must be toward the end of the program.

Otherwise, the program is fairly simple to use. I would monitor for how many attempts it takes your dc to answer correctly. If he is missing similar problems or having to do 2 attempts he didn't understand the lesson and needs to redo.

I have learned that my ds can be lazy and not watch the lessons. He also likes to do it mentally and gets them wrong because he won't work them out on paper.

We use TT and I would definitely recommend taking the placement tests before placing him in TT5. Although, we love TT, it seems at though many of the kids that use it ...use it above grade level. From our personal experience, my DD is going into 6th and using Pre-Algebra, DS is going into 4th and using TT6.

I wanted to mention that because your kiddo may give up on it because it is too boring (easy) if he is at grade level. However, if he has burnt out on another program and needs to be rehabilitated in math..TT at grade level may really be the answer. Then he will progress at his own speed.

Teaching Textbooks can be really good. However, it is also very easy to work the system with it to get the right answer without knowing what you are doing. There is a brief suggestion at the beginning of the book.
How to "Best" Use Teaching Textbooks
1. Watch the CD lecture
2. Read the summary of the lecture in the consumable workbook
3. Work each of the five practice problems in the workbook. Be sure to enter each answer in the computer immediately after finishing the problem. If the answer is incorrect, try it again. If the 2nd answer is incorrect, watch the step-by-step solution.
4. Work each problem in the problem set in the workbook, entering each answer in the computer immediately after finishing the problem. If the answer is incorrect, try it again. If the 2nd answer is incorrect, watch the step-by-step solution.
5. Review the student's score for that lesson in the gradebook (parent)
6. Take the chapter quiz, the day after finishing each chapter.

I have found that we really need to follow these steps or my children tend to guess, try to work mentally, and sometimes breeze through a lesson without retention. In the parent gradebook though you can see how many times they tried a problem and whether they had to view the solution.
If the kids actually watch the cd lecture, read through the lecture in the book, work the problems (2x if they miss the first try), and watch the solution if they miss it twice then they retain the information pretty well.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions