Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

CLE math help

CLE math help

okay, I just received a box today from CLE and now I'm not sure what to do. I decided to try this with one of my ds and so I only bought 300 and 301 to see how it worked for us. I also purchased the flashcards as I had heard that they were important. I assumed that I would be able to teach this, so didn't get the teacher's manual. Now looking at the first lesson I'm lost. It says to practice your A and X2 flashcards??? (I can see the 2's but what are "A"??, it continues to use various letters to designate flashcard practice throughout the lightunit) If anyone has a quick answer to this I would appreciate it. I can call the office next week to get the teacher's manual but I was trying to set it up for his use Mon. morning. Also, is there anything else I would be missing out on for not having the teacher's manual? Thanks.

re: CLE math help

Those refer to the set of grade 2 flashcards, I think.

To tell you the truth, I did not buy the flashcards.

I have the lists from the grade 2 that show the letters matched up to the math facts, if that will help. Email me at lucsch @ juno.com and I'll send them to you.

oh ok, this is easy.

The A flashcards are marked - they are the addition/subtraction flashcards, the red A, I believe. The black letter blocks are for first grade. Does that make sense?

The X2 means the "times 2" flashcards. This refers to the multiplication/division cards, and it means the 2 family multiplication cards. They are in order. You want to practice all the x2 facts, so 0x2, 1x2, 2x2, etc.

If you didn't get BOTH sets of flashcards, then obviously you wouldn't be able to do both, but implementing for the multiplication ones are easy, it's the A set that will be trickier, since "A" doesn't really indicate which facts are to be drilled. If you don't have the addition/subtraction flashcards, then perhaps someone here can tell you which facts are designated as group A. (My set is organized differently per my own tastes - blame it on my drive to tweak!)

You said you got the flashcards- there should be a pamphlet in the box that explains the system. But like another poster said, there are letters on the edge of the cards so you can organize them in groups.

I did get both sets of flashcards. When I opened the stuff up, I did see that there were dividers in the addition/subtraction set but somehow missed the letter designations. Thank you for your info. I'll go sort now ;-)

We didn't use the flashcards either. (I do wish we had though) We just draw a line through that part and move on.

Glad you figured it out!

When we used R&S, I bought the flashcards. We did not use them enough to bother with having them. I gave them away.

In 2nd grade, I picked up some triangular flashcards, which we use occasionally.

In addition to the triangular flashcards, I use a variety of methods to review the facts for that line of our CLE lesson--

For multiplication, I usually just write out 1-12 (I know in 3rd CLE only has them memorize 1-10 x, but I have my dd do them through 12) and orally ask her to tell me the answers to each for the fact family times that number and check them off. We also have 4 (-, +, x, /) bullet-type math facts marker boards from dryerase.com that I have her do occasionally. Other days we play our Number Sequence board game (+/- to 30). At the end of this year, I had her fill in a multiplication matrix. She seems to have learned her multiplication facts to 12x12 very well now. I likee how CLE uses skip counting to teach multiplication. The "answers" become familiar before they even learn the actually multiplication facts.

We never used those flash cards- we used our own, played other drill games, used Timez Attack etc. Don't get hung up on the flash cards-any yep of repetitive drill you use will be beneficial..

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions