Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

abeka chemistry

abeka chemistry

I went to an abeka book display today. I got to take a look at their chemistry and their geography for high school. ALso, my 3rd grader took a peek at their 4th grade science and loved the book!

I gotta say: the chemistry looks good. The chapters are not huge, there are practice problems at the end of each section, there is a huge review at the end of the chapter, there are some quizzes and chapter tests.

THe geography looked simple and to the point. My dd commented that it looked very straightforward and doable. It is a half credit, which is what I am looking for.

If you have used abeka chemistry, how did it work for you?? any stuggles with it?? what can you tell me??

If you have used the elementary science, how do you like it? how do you use it? I don't want an overwhelming program but just something to do a couple of days a week up to about 6th grade.

tia
rmiz

re: abeka chemistry

Sorry, I can only reply to the elementary science part since DD11 is just now finishing up the 8th grade book. She has done A Beka science all grades so far.

She loves her science. The text is designed so that a section can be done in one day. The photos and diagrams are plentiful and well chosen. The end of section questions follow along with the quizzes and tests. The sections may repeat from year to year, but the material taught will be slightly different each year. For example, you will see weather sections in multiple years. But, not only do they build upon each other year to year, but entirely different concepts will be found also.

This publisher teaches creation via intelligent design. If that's not your bag, then you might want to find another text since the theme is prevalent throughout. But, the science is in depth and designed for the college bound kiddo.

In regards to the experiments, homesciencetools.com can supply you with most of what you need during the elementary years. However, in 8th and certainly 9th, we found the lab kits do not contain everything needed for most of the experiments. This is because heavy duty lab equipment may be required. For example, in 9th, one needs a ceramic hot plate, 3 ring stands, digital scales, etc. that are not included. If one really wanted to do EVERY experiment in the higher grades, then one will spend about $600 to $700 on lab equipment. The other option is to buy the lab DVD and just watch the experiments or to create your own lab, which can be done with household supplies if you are willing to do the work.

By the way, this crazy lab cost phenomena in the upper grades happens with most publishers, not just A Beka, because the texts are designed for classrooms with full labs. I do not know if the A Beka chemistry has this problem since I haven't looked at it yet.

Other than the lab costs, I have not found any negatives in the A Beka science program so far for our family. Good luck with your decision.

This post was edited on Apr 18, 2012 08:43 AM

If we ever do Chemistry w/ labs, this is what we'll do, but with the DL video teacher. I believe the current Chemistry book is fairly new, along with the video teacher. Have you looked at video samples online? It looks like a great course with an interesting teacher.

Like Minnie said, though, if you don't want the full video course, you can get just the full lab DVD to watch for a little less $ than the full course on DVD or online, and you can resell the lab DVD when you're done with it, along with your books. :)

I think it's worth the extra cost to get some video help one way or another, unless you have some chemistry background yourself, as there's quite a bit of math in Chemistry. In fact, they started introducing chemical equations in Physical science, which we are doing now, and my ds was totally lost in that dept. :0/ (And that too was with the video teacher...He just isn't ready for that yet at 14, however, my 16 yo understood just fine).

If I wanted a little less formal Chem course, I'd probably go with the Chemistry 101 DVD course, which I may do with my oldest, just to give her a bit more Chem exposure before she graduates. She's doing Apologia's Marine Biology course next year as her main science.

HTH

Nancy

We too have used A Beka science K-5 through 8th grade. We love it. For elementary we added in lots of library books, some kits, some labs, some nature notebooks...pretty casual. Science is my dd's favorite subject!

Next year we are taking a break from A Beka and doing all three of the Apologia Zoology books - with extras, labs, vet assistant internship, the last semester, as a high school course. (9th)

Then for 10th (LORD willing) we plan on going back to A Beka for Biology using the DVD, for 11th, again using the DVD program for Chemisty, and then for 12th the same with Physics.

hth,
~Rosie

I just finished inventorying the lab equipment that I was blessed with - another homeschool mom at church - gave (complete surprise -out of the blue, HUGE BLESSONG) three boxes of the science equipment for Abeka Phy. Science, Biology, Chemistry - it was all in pristine condition (may not have been used). I am quite excited about it.

I had their chemistry when I was a home schooled high schooler. I didn't have a problem with it at all, but as with probably all (?) chem programs, being strong in algebra (equations!) is just the main thing. Just a lot of balancing. :-)

thank you for your feedback.
As far as the labs are concerned I am hoping to borrow most from a friend and have my husband do the labs he thinks are the "not-to-be-missed" labs of chem 1.
It's good to find some of you ladies who have done this program and get your feedback.
THe other program I was looking at for chem was Spectrum chemistry. I had read some good reviews of it on another board but the price is quite high, imo. I don't personally know anyone who has used it so I could compare. Either way, it feels good to have been able to look at the abeka and feel reassured about it if indeed I do go with it.

rmiz

We have used every year of Abeka science here and have loved them all. I know that the prerequisit for Chemistry is Alg. 1, it's just the balancing of equations.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions