Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Ace Paces vs CLE LU's

Ace Paces vs CLE LU's

Anyone know the difference between these two programs? They look similar, except one is color and one is b&w. Other than that is there really a difference? Ace seems to have less twaddle or perhaps it's just at the beginning of it; pencil holding, sitting, etc.

We just did a diagnostic on the Paces English and seem to be equal level wise with CLE LA. However...the reviews mostly say they're a year behind. But CLE is a year ahead in the early years and it levels out later on. What is Paces like in this area?

I'm also not sold on the fact that there doesn't appear to be a lot of thinking involved. Is it simplistic in it's thinking skills?

Thoughts on this comparison?

This post was edited on Apr 13, 2012 05:35 PM

re: Ace Paces vs CLE LU's

The biggest difference is the mastery approach of ACE vs. the spiral/incremental (Saxon) approach of CLE. Anything of CLE's that is Sunrise Edition is spiral/incremental. The early years of CLE are more rigorous than ACE, but yes, they both get to Algebra 1 for 9th grade. I haven't looked at ACE's Algebra 1, but I will tell you that CLE's new version is VERY rigorous.

If these were the only materials I were looking at, I'd choose CLE for Bible, Reading, LA, and math, and ACE for history and science.

HTH :-)

If we're talking English, ACE is very different in format as well as approach. ACE has separate PACES for spelling/vocab through 9th grade, as well as separate PACES for Lit/Creative writing through 6th. Also, as Keniki mentioned, ACE uses the mastery approach, although, it does spiral around to revisit topics in more depth from year to year. Each English PACE will focus on about 2-3 basic concepts of English at a time in terms of teaching, giving the student nice bite-sized chunks to chew on at a time. However, of course, as the years progress, the complexity becomes more advanced. The high school English is EXTREMELY thorough in terms of grammar. It also covers "enough" in terms of the other components of English, that is if we're comparing it to typical standards, however, some may find they want more in terms of lit or composition assignments and instruction, especially if they are not writing across the curriculum for other subjects such as science or history. Our ACE rep's ds scored nearly a perfect score on the English component of the ACT after doing ONLY ACE all throughout his education. I find that interesting and encouraging.

CLE gets pretty tough and thorough into the middle school/hs years as well, but the set up is very different, and the lessons *can* be kind of time consuming for some students as they get into middle school with all of the drill. High school English requires their English Handbook to compliment the LU's. My ds has done both ACE(some of 6th, 7th, and 9th) and CLE (6th) for LA, and he does better with ACE. Both are great for the right student, but very different. I suggest you view samples closely, go to a hotel meeting for ACE, or order just a couple of LU's or PACES to compare before taking the plunge. That's the nice thing about those programs...You don't have to sell the farm to try them out and make a huge committment. ;-) In fact, one of the nice things about ACE, due to the mastery nature, is that you can order a specific PACE with specific content to supplement a particular weakness if desired. My ds learned well from both programs.

I have on child that does great with the predictability and visual appeal of those little workbooks and another child who likes to see the bigger picture all at once before breaking things down (both now in high school), which means she doesn't really care for any type of bite-sized textbook/workbook program so much, even though she's tolerated a little over the years.

The only real similarity b/w the two is that they foster student independence with the content written TO the student, along with being in that small workbook format.

Nancy

This is helpful, thanks.

Does any other curriculum do this:

Quote: "ACE uses the mastery approach, although, it does spiral around to revisit topics in more depth from year to year. "

besides Ace & BJU for Math and English?

I'm pretty sure R&S does too, but I think it stops at 8th grade math and 10th grade English, with the English tending to be advanced in s/s so that many find using up to 8th grade adequate for hs. I'm not the R&S expert, though. ;-)

No, R&S is complete mastery.

No, R&S is complete mastery.
Actually, R&S is closer to spiral than BJU. R&S spirals within the year through the daily review AND spirals back through chapters (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, etc.) from year to year also. English is this way also.

BJU does not review WITHIN the year as much as R&S but does spiral back from year to year.

Math-U-See is the only math program I can think of that is complete mastery.

This post was edited on Apr 14, 2012 04:58 PM

Late (over a year!) but I wanted to address a comment:

>>BJU does not review WITHIN the year as much as R&S but does >>spiral back from year to year.

Wow..because this couldn't be further from the truth! I've used BJU for almost 4 years and ACE for almost 2 (and before that, all A Beka).

BJU has an insane amount of review. It's just very teacher/mommy-intensive. In English and Math, the FIRST bit of each day's lesson (taking approx 10-15 mins) is nothing *BUT* "practice and review." In Math, they also have the separate "Math Reviews" book available up through 4th grade...and in 4th, they start directing the kids toward "Daily Review" at the bottom of the page (kids are to turn to the end of the chapter for that chapter's Daily Review problems). And oh yeah: from K5-4th, there's also a specific section *within* the day's Math lesson that's focused on Review. If that's not review WITHIN the lesson, then I don't know what is. It's actually a bit overkill...

For English, as I said the lessons start out with "practice and review." Of course, BJU *IS* as I said Mommy/Teacher-intensive....so if you're just plopping the book down in front of your child, he's not going to get much review in English (though he WILL still get it in Math) until the end of the chapter...where he'll have a Chapter Review plus a Cumulative Review--both of which are at the end of EVETY single chapter.

Funny thing is? All of this overkill is what led us BACK to ACE PACEs. :)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions