Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

If Apologia science was too hard for your student or if you stopped using it...

re: If Apologia science was too hard for your student or if you stopped using it...

There are too many words!!! I LOVE to read but Apologia is over-kill with the words.
This was our experience as well. It was too wordy...just get to the point! (I realize this is a reason others love it...lol) We would frequently burst into laughter when we came across the word: "nevertheless"....it became a running joke. This is my oldest daughter who always has her head in a book...loves to read. That being said, Science is not her favorite subject by a long shot. After General we dropped Apologia. This year we used "Science Shephard"....looking at somehitng for Physical Science next year...but I know it won't be Apologia. We may go back to Science Shphard for Biology in the future.

eta: I too would have liked to have the study questions spread out...(which we did usually). She did do well on the tests etc...It wasn't that it was too hard, but the style she loathed.

This post was edited on Apr 11, 2012 03:33 PM

re: If Apologia science was too hard for your student or if you stopped using it...

Ditto what JennyMaine and Tammy said. I asked my dd and that is exactly what she said.

I am so angry right now-I have thought our problem was my dd being lazy(which she is not-her notes are meticulous and her time spent studying is a lot) or my inadequacies trying to teach!

I am mad that I didn't listen to dd when she said Apologia was not a good fit. I kept pushing her so she wouldn't be behind her friends and our entire homeschool group. I kept thinking, "well if that kid can use it, so can she!" I'm mad at myself as hear it is-the end of the year and all we have is a D+ to show for half the work.

Thank you everyone for all the input! I appreciate it so much. I hear so much positive about Apologia and like to see both sides to every coin. : )

Our ds has certainly been challenged by Apologia Science. I think some find it wordy - but this is actually one reason ds likes it. It's conversational rather than "textbooky". That's going to be a plus for some, and a negative for others.

As for the study guide - I encourage ds to use some study tips that I learned in college as he reads. Similar to study tips recommended by Ruth Beechick. That is, creating an outline as you read. Note subject headings, jot down key words under each heading. We use old editions of Apologia so I allow ds to circle key words and make notes in the book. We've not had any problems with the study guide to date.

As for the study guide - I encourage ds to use some study tips that I learned in college as he reads. Similar to study tips recommended by Ruth Beechick. That is, creating an outline as you read. Note subject headings, jot down key words under each heading. We use old editions of Apologia so I allow ds to circle key words and make notes in the book. We've not had any problems with the study guide to date.

----------------

A beka has a couple of preliminary pages written to the student explaining how to use the book effectively, and the outlining is also mentioned, so that's a great idea and tool to use no matter what program is used, although, I think that would be a bit more challenging with an Apologia book, due to the converstaional format. What I like about A beka is that they make it very clear as to what the important terms are, with clear definitions the first time they are mentioned. Those words are in bold. Also, important concepts that will most likely be on the test are also in bold italics, which is very helpful...great tools to help with the outlining and to help locate/recall important facts. AND, in addition to all of that, there's a handy alphabetized list of vocab words with pronunciation in the back of the book, including any medical terms, root, and affixes. Lots of great tools in that A Beka book that scream organization for the student who really needs that format. ...Especially for the visual learner. I love how A Beka takes the time to really explain how their book is meant to work right to the student from the very beginning. I also like that their texts are quite cheap, which means it's not a great loss if the student writes or highlights in it. :)

I probably shouldn't... but eh? I waited a while before saying anything..

I have a bit and chew kind of gal... General is working for her because she
1. uses the audio text and pauses to study diagrams and pictures
2. stops to digest after each On Your Own.
3. takes notes as she is listening... writes down the bolded things for retention
4. and we also use the module summaries - those are more fill in the blanks in the paragraph.

I don't know if those tips would help anyone else.. but in case they do.. but no such thing as one program for all. I just like sharing solutions to things that worked for us.

also.. I'm smiling at how different experiences can be. The water tension demo was always hard for us in elementary with other materials (not apologia jr. high). However the way Apologia General book did it with placing the needle on the square of toilet paper and letting the toilet paper sink to the bottom.... works every time for us.
maybe that's unique to 2nd edition or something...

((hugs)) as you find the best needs for you.

Thank God for this thread.

We are currently in Module 6 of Apologia Biology and are using the Red Wagon DVD-ROM Tutorial.

My 9th grade son is doing fine on the tests, with a low A average, but does he ever complain! He says the same things as others have said:

Too many words
Too much talking
It is impossible to find the answers to the study note questions
etc, etc.

I too have been saying, "Just stick with it" and "Try harder" and the best one of all, "Stop being so lazy".

We did Apologia Physical Science and stopped doing the labs half-way through, after I paid $70 for a lab supply kit. The labs were not challenging in the least and didn't really aid in understanding.

Anyway, Apologia is a great curriculum, but my son is not planning on being a scientist and couldn't care less about experiments and cell structure, etc.

So, I just ordered Christian Liberty Biology set from Amazon for a total of $29. We will be doing that instead of Apologia. I explained to my son he will have to do double the reading to "catch up" and finish by September. Plus we are going to Greg Landry's 2 Day Intensive for Biology and Anatomy this month anyway. I will count all of that for his labs, and my son just has to read and do the tests for the rest of the year.

I am not ruling out using Apologia with my younger son. I will see how Christian Liberty Biology goes.

So, I just ordered Christian Liberty Biology set from Amazon for a total of $29.
Nancy has it for $18 over on Swap Meet. Can you cancel your order?

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions