Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Fallacy Detective and high school credit

Fallacy Detective and high school credit

In the front of the book "Fallacy Detective," it says, "Completing this book is worth aprox. one high school credit in logic or critical thinking."

How? I just don't see how a student could spend an hour, M-F, for an entire school year, on this book.

Has anyone does this? How ??

re: Fallacy Detective and high school credit

I can't find my copy of that book to look at how it is stated.
but...

This is what I did to assign a semester (.5) credit in logic.

1. Fallacy Detective. One chapter a day, about 4 days a week.
2. followed by Thinking Toolbox, a chapter a day, 4 days a week

together the books made a semester credit.

Here is information from the publishers on how to use Fallacy Detective in a homeschool beyond just reading the chapter and glancing at the chapter review questions.

http://www.fallacydetective.com/articles/read/how-to-use-the-fallacy-detective-in-a-homeschool/

and then click on that page to classroom ideas

and with TT
http://www.fallacydetective.com/articles/read/how-to-use-the-thinking-toolbox-in-a-homeschool

and again follow that link to the classroom ideas. I felt sure that on most days, we had the equivalent of "classroom hour" in our discussion time one on one.

-crystal

We also used Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox for a one semester logic class for 0.5 credit. I also made up tests, and my ds completed a project for Fallacy Detective and wrote a paper for Thinking Toolbox. I agree with you -- Fallacy Detective is not a 1 unit hs class.

Agreeing with the others. I call it "Introduction to Logic" on the transcript.

You could add a lot to make it a full credit over a full year, but for us personally, that isn't one of our goals for our high schooler.

for another option for test for FD... there's a join email newsletter button on their website and they'll send you the test. they never made one for TT. and they don't email very much. so it's not like you're asking them to spam your box or anything. it's a multiple choice test covering FD

Thanks, everyone!

I also used both books and gave my son a half a credit in Introductory Logic. :)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions