Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Prairie Primer

Prairie Primer

I have posted this question on PPP, but would love more opinions here as well from others that have used PP.

I am considering using the PP for my dd who will be turning 7 in July. Do any of you see any reason that this would be a bad idea? We would still do FIAR between units if we go this route. It is just that her interest in the Pioneering Era is peaked high right now and I would like to run with it. But if there are any reasons to NOT use PP for her at this age I would like to hear them.

Thanks!

re: Prairie Primer

Nope, can't think of a single reason not to. :-)

It is rated for grades 3-6.

Looking at the lessons, the activities require these levels. If you are willing to use the ideas and make it more grade level appropriate, I think it would still work.

Here is a days work--

You read part of a Little House book. Then there are a list of comprehension questions. Then, the harder part starts.

Here is an example of a day's activities:

History
Finish reading The American Indian Story by the end of the week.

Art
Draw Pet and Patty on their picket lines.

Writing
On p. 29, what did Pa say about being safe? Write about a time that you should have followed this advice or a time you used this principle to avoid trouble.

Literature
What aspect of this chapter is an example of autobiographical fiction?

Nutrition
Compare the nutrient value of molasses to sugar.

Living
Describe the process of making molasses or make molasses or sorghum.

Living
Eat pancakes with molasses for breakfast or cornbread and molasses for lunch.

Art/Science
Draw meadow larks, dickcissels, prairie chickens, mockingbirds, Phoebe birds, and gophers. Label and write an interesting, informative caption on the bottom of each drawing.

Geography
Find Independence, Missouri, on a road map. With a compass, mark a forty-mile radius.

Living
Wash clothes by hand in a tub and hang them out to dry.

Bible
Study what the Israelites did with the inhabitants when they arrived in the promised land. Also, read Psalm 44:1-9. What was their "foreign policy?" Compare this to American foreign policy. Should the policy be the same? Why or why not? Discuss.

History
Study the history of the United States relations with the Osage.

I bought the guide several years ago. I decided to save it for 4th grade (next year).

I used the PP over two school years with 2nd/3rd grade children. The last two books we didn't "do." We just read them out loud because the topics were about courtship and early marriage and mine were too young for much of that as a "study."
Some ideas:
I used Scholastic's "The Body Book" to cut and paste paper models while studying various body systems. Or, you could make a model of the body using Weaver's body book. I believe they used felt and panty hose.
Focusing on the variety of animals to study was one way I brought it down to a younger level. We also did an in-depth study of bees. We also focused on farm life.
R&S has a lovely workbook to help w/the study of manners and nutrition (again, bringing it down to a younger level).
To help study the states and capitals I recommend: To State it Simply, It is a Capital Game by Eagles Wings. Rainbow Resource carries this.
Most of the topics suggested for study can easily be studied by a 7yo. simply by choosing appropriate books from the library.

Oh gosh! I am sooo sorry! I should have mentioned that I do have the guide. I could have saved you the trouble of typing all of that up. But maybe someone else will see the samples and it may fit what they are looking for.

The reason I asked -even though I do own it and have read thru much of it- is because I wonder if even though it looks doable to me, maybe others thought the same and then ran into troubles that I have not detected.

I do see where an older child will get more out of it, just like with FIAR. My little girl has been doing it since she was 4 and gets more out of it now than she did back then, but she still learned tons even when she first started.

Some of the lessons in PP I would skip (like any study I would do) and I was thinking that with *some* of the writing to make oral. I would also expect that it would take longer to go thru the PP than 1 year.

Like you, pp, I found this guide years ago. It was after my older kiddos were graduated and my little girl was still a baby. I had always wished that I knew about PP when my olders were younger. When I saw this at a hs book store for $8 I grabbed it and hugged it tight at the risk of looking like a hs obsessed loon! I was not even gonna consider putting it back on the shelf! LOL AND it is a spiral bound version. Doesn't have the worksheets that are in the newer version, but it is spiral! Woohoo!

Thank you both for your post!

Thanks TexasCowgirl!

(I almost typed your real name! I hope all is well with you. :) )

I am taking note of your recommendations!

"When I saw this at a hs book store for $8 I grabbed it and hugged it tight at the risk of looking like a hs obsessed loon! I was not even gonna consider putting it back on the shelf! LOL AND it is a spiral bound version. Doesn't have the worksheets that are in the newer version, but it is spiral! "

LOL....that was my reaction, as well! I have the same older version, apparently.

Oh, and no problem about typing all of that. I type really fast.

It would be fine to type my real name. I switched user names when I first moved to Texas because I couldn't remember my old sign in and passcode. So, I made a new one!
I got interrupted when I was typing in ideas. Here are a few more to bring it down to a lower level:
Prairie Primer has a list of I Can Read books in the history section of the catalog. Some of them will fit in nicely. They also have paper dolls in the history section as well.
Honestly, I wouldn't wait. I think the earlier books lend to younger children and I think the last two books would be good for middle school.
There are plenty of topics that are easily done with younger children. In fact, I think people who wait too long to use PP end up not using it because they've covered the topics w/other programs.
So... if she is interested, it is definitely usable with a 7yo. And you will still get the "heart" of the program!
If you like lapbooking, there is a lapbooking,notebooking program available for the first couple of books. I don't remember who was selling it. I, personally, enjoyed making our own notebook so I don't really care for printable sheets. But some people REALLY enjoy that so I thought I'd mention it!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions