Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

high school curriculum

high school curriculum

I have been using a hodge podge of curriculums for the past 3 years, but I need a complete curriculum that my daughter can use independently for 10th grade and forward. Any suggestions?

re: high school curriculum

Does it need to be a complete curriculum from one publisher or just something independent for each subject?

This is a list of what my daughter used in 10th grade. She did everything on her own & just let me know when she was ready for tests.
Contemporary Literature from Around The World & Daily Grammar
Teaching Textbooks Geometry
Apologia Science - didn't care for this, but got through it
Streams of Civilization World History
Explorer's Bible Study
Alfred's Complete Music Theory

Well, we really need more information. Christian or secular? Textbook, worktext, unit study with a schedule, or dvd/online program? Do you like a rigorous curriculum or something a little less agressive? Since you are wanting a 'package' are you available for grading, etc. or do you need a correspondence/online school?

There's just too much out there to say here ya go, one size fits all 10th graders, know what I mean?

My dd will be using:

"Any Novel" Novel Study Guide
Young Ladies Study Course for Proper Writing
TT Geometry
Abeka Biology
BJU American Republic

Any of these can be done independently by a 10th grader.

This post was edited on Mar 31, 2012 08:55 AM

I just wanted to add our experience. When my daughter reached 10th grade, I started treating her subjects more like college classwork - printed up a syllabus of when she needed to take each quiz or test. I left it up to her to decide how to prepare. If she wanted to do every exercise, she could. If she could just read through the material & be ready for the test, that was fine too. If you approach it that way, just about any curriculum can be done independently.

I want a complete set, preferrably Christian that will grade for her. I work outside the home in the afternoons and, also, homeschool another younger daughter. I need something that I don't have to do much for, just monitor to know what she is doing. We both prefer online/DVD, but I can't put out a lot of money. I want, also, that is accredited, so that we have records for college.

I want a complete set, preferrably Christian that will grade for her. I work outside the home in the afternoons and, also, homeschool another younger daughter. I need something that I don't have to do much for, just monitor to know what she is doing. We both prefer online/DVD, but I can't put out a lot of money. I want, also, that is accredited, so that we have records for college.
Well, Alpha Omega Academy is the only one that's going to do all of this instantly, but I'm not convinced it's a great education. You could also use Abeka Academy (about $1100 per year, I believe), but you will have to mail in the work for grading. IMO, she would also get a better education, but you would have to talk to them about whether or not they are going to accept her 9th grade credits. That really is going to be an issue though with any of them that you want a diploma from. BJU also has online/dvd program, but they aren't accredited. You don't HAVE to use an accredited program though to get records. (Are you sure you understand accreditation? That's another thread all by itself. You could even use the search feature to learn more about it.) CLASS is much cheaper and will do all the grading and record keeping, but they don't have an online/dvd option and actually pick and choose from different publishers themselves.

That gives you some places to start looking. Hope it helps.

This post was edited on Mar 31, 2012 11:25 AM

Thanks. I will look into what you have shared.

There are many distance-learning schools that are not accredited but keep good records, whose graduates have been accepted to colleges all over the U.S. In other words, don't let accreditation be your benchmark, because it just isn't as important as many people think it is.

Bob Jones University Press (BJUP) has DVD, hard-drive, and on-line options; your dc can do it on her own, or you can enroll her in BJU's Academy of Home Education.

ABeka Academy is accredited. Your dc can do on-line or DVD instruction. ABeka Academy is NOT my favorite, primarily because you have to use all ABeka materials, and I'm not fond of doing all ABeka, but that's just me. I'm not as opposed to it for high school as I am for elementary, though.

We absolutely did NOT like some of Alpha Omega's subjects, so personally, I couldn't recommend any distance-learning school that required AO to be used.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions