Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

LLATL Gold? (American Literature)

LLATL Gold? (American Literature)

DD will be doing American History next year (9th). We're looking for literature. American lit would be nice, but isn't a must. Has anyone used this? What did you like/dislike about it? One review says it's challenging, but the next one says LLATL is too light. So which is it, LOL?

This post was edited on Mar 21, 2012 04:00 PM

re: LLATL Gold?

Too light for my taste. I still have it n brand new with all the books from 5 years ago. I want to like it, but I didn't feel it covered any one thing strong enough.

It's one of those things i just can't seem to sell and part with; as noted in my other thread. LOL

Maybe I'm just a curriculum hoarder......

Maybe I'm just a curriculum hoarder......
LOL, wouldn't that make an interesting TV show? Curriculum Hoarders. On second thought, it probably wouldn't be interesting to enough people.

Keniki, my eldest used this and she loved it, but she was a natural writer. It's in my closet somewhere still in decent condition.

I have it and can send it to you if you would like it--for free. You know how to contact me. ;) (this is the British Literature one, right?)

Dee

No, Dee, I'm looking at the American one for now, but I might be interested in looking at the British one for later.

re: LLATL Gold? (American Literature)

Duh, it's in your original post. :( I skim these so fast, I miss things. For some reason I've put it in my head that the gold one means it's the British literature one because the book has a gold trimming.

Okie dokie.

Last year, we switched from the ACE American Lit paces to the LLATL. My dd liked it much better. It had a wider variety of literature and was not as heavy in grammar as ACE was. It was a breath of fresh air. (Although she didn't care for Red Badge of Courage at all! In hindsight, I should've substituted a different book like The Scarlet Letter or something less detailed/gory. However, my ds will LOVE RBOC when he uses it.)

I know I told you about how my older kids loved the American Gold. This is one I want to repeat.

Something came to mind just now about the younger levels. Now that I have my youngest in the Red level I already see where LLATL is *grooming* her for writing. She had to list character traits of Country Mouse and the City Mouse, and she had to contrast the city (as presented in the story) with the country. They are also introducing modifiers. When I look back on my near worthless public education, and I see how simply these things could have been taught to me ( and millions of other American children) it makes me wonder why they don't do it.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions