Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

HOD Beyond Vs MFW Adventures - questions

HOD Beyond Vs MFW Adventures - questions

Hello,

From the samples this is what I can see, can anyone confirm whether this is true for the entire programs of each and in comparison to each other.

- I am only comparing the history compartments.

MFW Adventures, from the sample: Appears to list which books to read and when. There isn't any commentary on the books, or commentary of how to introduce the book or topic.

HOD Beyond, from sample: Appears to have some commentary that outlines the key topic and gives the parent some ideas of what questions to ask in relation to a listed book or chapter.

So, it looks like MFW sorts of just list the books/chapters and you are on your own with chatting to your kids about it.

Is this correct?

What I can't see in MFW Adventures - maybe someone can help...Does MFW Adv have any writing exercises for the students in relation to the history/geo sections? Or just reading or crafts activies? Is this correct?

THANKS heaps :)

re: HOD Beyond Vs MFW Adventures - questions

sorry for double post.

<<<HOD Beyond, from sample: Appears to have some commentary that outlines the key topic and gives the parent some ideas of what questions to ask in relation to a listed book or chapter. >>>

I only have experience with HOD, so I'll address this question. HOD is for the most part scripted for the teacher. Each subject box has the primary lesson or subject being taught that day summarized for you along with the reading for that day. Any questions provided genearlly pertain to poetry, Bible, a few for science, and story time (the story time questions are extremely generic and may not necessarily work for the book you're reading.)

There are no questions for history, nor for some days of science. The child is expected to narrate after each reading (there are a variety of ways they can do this - simply retell what they heard, act it out, draw a picture, etc.)

This post was edited on Mar 12, 2012 05:23 PM

I've done both of these! I much preferred the organization of ADV and when it comes to retention, all of my children remember things from that year, but don't remember anything really from the Beyond year.

But.............

I know lots of folks who love and prefer HOD. :)

So, it looks like MFW sorts of just list the books/chapters and you are on your own with chatting to your kids about it.

Is this correct?

What I can't see in MFW Adventures - maybe someone can help...Does MFW Adv have any writing exercises for the students in relation to the history/geo sections? Or just reading or crafts activies? Is this correct?
It's been a few years since we've used MFW Adv., so I'll do my best to recall, but someone who is currently using it could certainly give a much better account.

I think there are notes if there was something that should be pointed out or expanded upon. There were sometimes background info. or hands on activities both for history and read alouds. My kids Loved the Pioneers and Patriots book. They were amazed at the responsibilities of children their own age at that time period. The book itself had highlights and comprehension questions at the end of each unit.

Also, I believe in the teacher's notes before you begin the curriculum, it explains how to do narration with your child and that will help immensely with their recall and the notebooking exercises. By the end of the year, your child will have a huge history notebook. I checked out the sample online and it is only one week, but there is a George Washington narration and notebooking exercise that week who you would have read about in the History of the US book and any extra books you may have picked up at the library for book basket.

We loved MFW Adventures! My dd still loves to study birds ever since we studied them in science that year. I loved the Bible study and how it tied into everything else.

HTH

If you do a search on the HOD board, you will find several informative posts comparing the two since this question has been brought up quite often. I found the posts to be very helpful and respectful to both companies. They do have their similarities as well as some pretty substantial differences. While I extensively researched both programs, I haven't used MFW, so it would be unfair for me to compare only based on my research rather than experience. We have been using HOD for the last four years, and I have found it to be a wonderful blessing to our family. While there are some scripted portions, it's actually very little and has never squelched our discussions. Beyond was one of my favorites!
hth,
Laura

I've not used HOD so I can't comment on it but we did use MFW's Adventures and it was much fun. It's very light, IMO, but lots of fun. I plan on using it next year with my 3rd grader.

Praising Him,
Kim
www.blessed2bamommy.com

I used Beyond last year and am using Bigger this year with my dd. I also have a MFW Adventures TM.

I think using one or the other is like choosing between chocolate and vanilla ice cream. You like one over the other, but that does not make the other one deficient in any way.

I wanted to use Adventures--it looks so fun. I want use HOD longterm. I like the skill progression of HOD. I decided to try to combine Bigger with Adventures because the timelines matched up better than Beyond versus Adventures. I liked certain elements of Adventures, like the bird and state study.

In the end, after a lot of head scratching and thought, I abandoned MFW Adventures. We are doing Bigger half speed and adding a state and bird study. We use PLL on those days, which is recommended by MFW. I also tried Spelling Power with my dd because of MFW. I like that MFW includes art and music appreciation so I have added that. They also recommend a foreign language program, Rosetta Stone, which I have not added though we do Greek. So, while I haven't used the Adventures TM at all, I found it very inspiring!

HOD is nicely scripted, with each day carefully separate and each subject in its own box. The MFW Adventures TM has a weekly grid, not fully filled in for all subjects (those that you choose). It also has a few pages of script and notes organized by day of the week. I prefer HOD's two page spread per day. I know some don't mind the weekly grid. I used it with Sonlight, which was similar.

MFW has a lot of neat hands-on projects. However, they are of the type that I know would get shoved out of our schedule. I like HOD's because they are usually easy, fast, and of stuff I have lying around the house already.

All books are scheduled in the HOD manual. MFW uses a book basket, so you add as you want. That means that it would not get done in my house. LOL

I think if you look at MFW and HOD, you see a different focus. I think you may want to look at all levels and compare the two companies and make a decision which one you want for the long haul.

Also, if you have multiple children to homeschool and want to combine, you may find one or the other easier for that purpose. MFW claims you can combine a pretty big age range. HOD is centered with skills but has extensions in Bigger and up for an older child.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions