Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

One subject per day homeschooling?

One subject per day homeschooling?

anyone do this? a fellow homeschooling mom suggested it to me as a way to just stay focused and have a less chaotic feel throughout the days.

positives? negatives? practical implementation?

re: One subject per day homeschooling?

I haven't done this, but I could see it working with students who don't get bored easily and can stay focused on history (or math or LA, etc.) for a few hours each day.

I don't think it would work for math, grammar, and spelling. They really need to be worked on every day. Line upon line. Precept upon precept. I have, when my children were younger, worked on history one semester and science the other semester.

I have done it and have loved it!
it is calming for the house hold,
and you don't feel so behind all the time

even for math and such it was fine,
I basically did instruction of the subject on it's given day, and the best part was we could go in depth when time allowed or often times didn't

we also found we could get to the fun stuff like experiments, and field trips and other research and videos and games that we often didn't feel like we had time for when we were rushing from subject to subject

so for math day I taught math lesson and we played and and sang and did mathy type games like payday for older child and counting mandm's for younins

I really liked it

one thing though I did feel like with olders I wanted more math practice so I actually assigned the home work for the week on math day (so 4 math pages to do for the week) and the bonus was if they got it done on one day great or if they took all week fine...it was practicing with responcilbity and with pace one self

hth

Oh, how much I agree with Keniki! I would never attempt it with math, English, reading/phonics, and spelling. It should be fine with science and history and health, though.

I agree with Keniki and Mommy4Jesus, that for the content areas like history, science, art it can work, but wouldn't do it for anything in the LA, Math or Foreign Language areas.

I used to do that for history and science and even did that on weekends. We did Super Science Saturday and Super History Sundays, then during Mon-Fri we just did phonics, spelling, writing, and math. We also did Art on Fri but that was because we didn't do writing, phonics or spelling. So it was math in the morning and Art all afternoon.

My kids loved having long science and history days and didn't even care that it was the weekend. We would work for at least 2-3 hours unless they were really into it, then we would keep going.

~Kel

We do it, and it works great! I think a lot of times boys do better when they can stay on one thing. They are not multi-taskers by nature, and it really helps keep them focused. Depending on your math curricula, math can be done both ways. For awhile, with a different curricula we were using, we did it daily. I actually hated it that way, 'cause if they piddled around, then it threw the whole day off. However, with the curriculum we switched to recently, they can get a week's worth plus done in one day, and still have time leftover. They now do 7-13 lessons in math plus a quiz, and they are getting it! And, they know when they're done, they're done! We do science one day, math one day, history and geography one day, grammar and spelling one day, and then reading and writing one day. Usually one of the days permits time for an elective. It works great for us:)

My dss love it, and would never go back to every subject every day. Even my high schooler only does 3-4 of 7-8 subjects a day. When they get a job someday, they will more than likely be doing one thing, not 7 or 8:) I would say all you can do is try it:) If it doesn't work, you know you can go back.

We do some block scheduling (lots of LA one day, lots of science another), but we also do math and history every day.

You could try a combo if you're not ready to take the plunge.

Spetzi

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions