Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

LLATL for high school??

LLATL for high school??

What are your thoughts on this? Would this be enough to cover 1 credit for English? Thanks!

re: LLATL for high school??

My kids enjoyed the American very much.

In my opinion, yes, it is enough. But if you are someone who believes that your child must have grammar every year you will disagree. The focus in the two Gold books is literature and writing.

HTH

I'm not really sure; maybe it was me , but I found it to be seriously lacking. Lacking all the way around. Maybe it's because it's a more relaxed approach and maybe I was so use to the Abeka books. I bought it, and it's still sitting in a box four years later. There just wasn't much meat to it for me. Considering how challenging Abeka is in the higher grades ; it would have been a step back for us. Doing ABeka all through high school, when my dd was in 9th grade she was testing at a post high school level in all areas of vocab, spelling, grammar, word usage; that sort of thing. I will do the same thing with my youngest.

We have done a mix of EG, Daily Grams, LLATL, and I truly wish I had just done something like Abeka or BJU all the way through. I think my kids would have a better handle on grammar/writing.

I think it's a wonderful curriculum for kids that have an interest in writing & literature. It points out a lot of unique things, sparks their interest, etc.

My English loving daughter got a lot out of it. She used LLATL for 5th - 10th. She wasn't one that needed a lot of grammar review and watched online English lectures just for the fun of it. In 11th grade, she tested out of English I & II at Community College and went on to major in English.

It was a flop for my non-English loving son. He needs more of a traditional text or workbook.

My ds used the American Lit, and loved it. I really think it depends on the student. English is my son's favorite subject. He doesn't need grammar and writing instruction as a seperate subject anymore, so this course was a good fit.
When I was in high school, we no longer received grammar and writing instruction per se. We read lit and wrote about it. Any mistakes in grammar and writing were addressed when the essays were graded. This is how I approach it with my son.

This post was edited on Feb 14, 2012 10:51 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately this child is not a lit., language-loving girl. She is more of a box-checker when she comes to these subjects, so I am thinking this may not be a good fit for her. Thanks for the responses though.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions