Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

CM vs. SCM

CM vs. SCM

Looking more into Charlotte Mason. I notice some use the term simply Charlotte Mason. Are they the same thing?

re: CM vs. SCM

Simply charlotte mason is a charlotte mason curriculum or guide... CM is a way of life and learning....

Here's the SCM site...

http://simplycharlottemason.com/

Ambleside Online (AO) is another popular curriculum modeled on CM's philosophy.

Ruth Beechik's writings draw from CM philosophy, as well, (though are not "purely CM").

Catherine Levison has written two books that I've been assured, by long time CM users here, are very solid, good introductions and explanations to how to put CM into practise. Ideally of course one would read CM (and you can read her books over at AO's site online), but in the meantime, Levison's books can help you put the pieces together while you're working through the CM 6-vol. set.

There are some ladies here who are CM experts and I'm sure they will pop in to this thread with some very great advice! =o)

Have you read Karen Andreola's book already? Also, the original Clarkson book "Educating the Whole Hearted Child" was very CM, and there is a new edition out now.

I recommend reading the original 6 volumes of Mason's writings - that's how you'll really get a feel for it all.

Jen

Other great resources for CM method:

http://www.charlottemasonhelp.com/

http://www.tanglewoodeducation.com/index.htm

Another lovely CM book is Elizabeth Foss' "Real Learning: Education in the Heart of the Home." Elizabeth writes from a catholic perspective. I'm not catholic but truly enjoyed her book. Lots of rich examples of her families learning style.

Just a heads-up..... some of the books that have been mentioned *about* Charlotte Mason are not really true what she DID in her schools. Some of them make Miss Mason out to be really laid back, "relaxed", almost an "unschooler". That is NOT an accurate portrayal. If you want to know what she was really like, you need to read Miss Mason's own writings, which you can read online (or printed off) at the Ambleside website:

www.amblesideonline.org

I do agree with the recommendation for books by Catherine Levison for a quick jump-start in implementation.

Simply Charlotte Mason is a "CM curriculum", and is very nice, but still not *quite* truly CM. While the layout looks good, SCM does history chronologically BUT differs from Miss Mason in that Miss Mason would always read their national history and world history simultaneously. Also, SCM uses easier books than Miss Mason would've used. As a matter of fact, a lot of the books she has scheduled for high school would've been read several years earlier by Miss Mason's students. Still, she has a lot of good choices.

Someone mentioned the Charlotte Mason Help website, which is really good.... Tons of information and CM helps there, as well as free curriculum lesson plans which you can follow if you like what you see. At year 7, she refers you back to the Ambleside website for years 7 and up.... but I think the CM Help site is easier to understand than Ambleside, as far as how the methods work and all that. www.charlottemasonhelp.com

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions