Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

old fashioned education

old fashioned education

Does anyone use Old Fashion Education that is avalible on line? I mainly would like to hear from those that have high schoolers and middle school? Do you use it as a straight curriculum? How do you use it in your homeschooling?

Thanks for sharing
M

p s I am looking at different options to hs next year.

re: old fashioned education

Can I sneak a question in??? Can you get most of the resources she uses on a kindle? Or ipad?

I know that some of the books are available on the Kindle. Some also at gutenberg.org where you can print the books out. Some were for $s but for a reasonable price. I thought.
I also wondered about having my 7th grader (next year) do the 9th grade curr. He wants to read on Middle ages. Just a thought.
I do hope we get some response for those that use OFE.

Thanks a bunch
M

We use it somewhat. We use the books, but on our own schedule. So, instead of reading from several books at the same time, I simply have my dd pick which one she wants to read next and go from there. Some books we skip, others we add in. We have a sony e-reader and we have been able to download almost all of the books that are listed onto our e-reader!! I can't really help much more as my oldest is only in 2nd grade. However, I will say that "most" of the book selections are fabulous and we will absolutely continue to use the recommended books for many years to come. We started using OFE when my dd was a first grader... so a little over a year now. There are also TONS of great books on Rosegate Harbor that can all be downloaded for free.

Sorry, I don't have a highschooler either. My dd is in the first grade, and like the above poster we do OFE our own way. Instead of having 2 history readers going at the same time we are reading thru 1 and then we will move to the second. I also add the Nature Handbook to our science readers Among the ____ People to get a bit more detail about the creatures we are studying. I agree that most of the books are great.

As much as we are enjoying OFE, we most likely will go with AO next year. There is some overlap, but I have found that AO has more free online downloads for more years than OFE does. That is important to me.

Wish I could help you with the high levels. Sorry.

Still hoping that I might hear from others that have middle and high school students that use OFE and how they use it? Is there any one out there? Hope so.

Thanks a bunch!
M

Have you looked into Robinson Curriculum? A lot of highschoolers use it successfully to graduation. Most of the books can be downloaded for free:

http://users.gobigwest.com/rosegate/RCbooks.html

2 hours reading the best of the books (literature, history, science, economics)

2 hours math

1 hour writing

Have a 10th grader who used it. We followed it almost exactly and she loved it. Have a friend whose 9th grader is using it and she has only had to buy a math book and it was cheap. I like it and will probably use it again for my little later.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions