Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Paradigm Accelerated Curriculum's Basic Science Mysteries Questions?????

Paradigm Accelerated Curriculum's Basic Science Mysteries Questions?????

Anyone ever use this or look at it? What is it like? I saw one review that said they would not use it because one of the stories was about a drive-by shooting. Are all the stories about shootings? We are a Christian family and I don't want to teach something against our values, but we are in need of some creative Science ideas and I think my 7th grade son would love this!!! Please tell me about this curriculum if you have an opinion---good or bad. Thanks!!!

re: Paradigm Accelerated Curriculum's Basic Science Mysteries Questions?????

I was the one who left that review. That story took up the entire first unit. Since there are only something like 6 units to the year, that was too much of it for me. I also found it hard to consider 6 units an entire year. It was only like 10 or 12 lessons per unit, so to me, that's only 1/2 year. I would have needed something else for the other 1/2 of the year.

It has not been offensive to us. The theme in the story was to capture the attention of youth I suppose. Boys tend to be dreamers, and these science texts are written to draw teens into learning. (Right now my daughter is using this - without any problems.)To me it is on the same level as Daniel Boon having guns or knives in the story line - the story is not gory or over the top. The author is just using what youth might encounter in this day and age.It's just a side story in the unit, geared to be an example in observation. The majority of text deals with:
1. Life Processes
Organisms
2. Responding to Surroundings.
The Nervous System
3. Growing
The Endocine System
4. Movement
The Muscular/Skeletal System
5. Hunger
The Digestive System
6. Blood
The circulatory System
7. Take A Breath
The Resperatory System
8.Problem Solving
The Scientific Method
9.Using Your Senses
The Five Senses
10. What A Waste
The Urinary System
11.Interactions
Ecosystem
12. The Same Kind
The reproductive System
13.Traits
Genetics
14. Staying Alive
The Immune System and Disease
15. A Healthy Future
Lifestyle Factors

There are 5 booklets with 15 sections each and 3 quizzes per book - apprx. 95 days for the year if you need to take the final test for each. Enough science for 3 days a week.

You, as the parent of your child, are best able to decide what is best for your particular child.

The best for you would be to get it in your hands to look through.

I can send you a few to look over if you like, and then you can make a better judgment for your family.

This post was edited on Jan 24, 2012 11:14 PM

Is this course meant to be used in middle school? I'm thinking this might interest my 10th grader next year. Perhaps an elective? It sounds very...boyish. LOL.

Yes, middle school. 7th/8th. PAC has two science courses, of which this is one, to use at that level.

For high school they offer Biology, Integrated Physics and Chemistry, (two year course, or group the Physics topics together or Chemistry topics together to use as individual one year courses) and an Anatomy and Physiology one semester course.

Susan

Thanks, Susan.

Does their biology include A&P at all, or does it exclude it for the separate course, similarly to how Apologia does it?

After Basic Science Mysteries, there is Natural Science Mysteries.
I spoke to Paradigm, and they suggest the Integrated Physics and Chemistry as a two year coarse for 9th and 10th. Here's why - 2 answers by one rep. and the creator:
" we suggest taking IPC first as a 9th and 10th grade
level course and then Biology. The reason for this is because our IPC is not math heavy being created around the Periodic Table and we find
that our Biology is a little more difficult than most. However, you
may certainly do either or, whichever you feel most comfortable with."
And
"We highly recommend that Natural Science Mysteries be followed by our popular course Integrated Physics and Chemistry.  IPC is a two year, two credit course that is highly engaging and embraced by students, especially those who have "hesitated about loving science embedded with complex math."  
"Our IPC is our most popular product.  It is designed to engage students, provide a thorough understanding of the Periodic Table of Elements, and to help students appreciate the men and women who discovered the elements.  Biologyis usually too challenging for freshmen (students in the 14 and 15 year
range).  We recommend biology be taken by students at the 11th or 12th grade"

If you go to pacworks.org they give websites to go to to enhance biology.

A&P from website:
The Precepts of Anatomy and Physiology (two chapters of text and two companion activity books) can serve as a stand-alone unit study worthy of 1/2 high school transcript credit in anatomy, or may be included as an adjunct to the Principles, Theories and Precepts of Biology course for 1 or 1 1/2 biology credits

This post was edited on Jan 24, 2012 11:55 PM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions