Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Konos, weaver, my fathers world for wiggly boys

Konos, weaver, my fathers world for wiggly boys

I have three boys between 7 and 11. I would like to teach them together instead of learning independently. We like the looks of konos, mfw, and weaver. I would like to know how others have enjoyed these programs (or others that have a similar philosophy.) and how is the actual cost after factoring in other materials that need purchased. How easy or hard was it to implement. And was it fun for the kids? This is still my first year home schooling, so I have tons of questions. Lol!

re: Konos, weaver, my fathers world for wiggly boys

Let me put in my 2 cents: I like all three, but......none of them work for us. I had to sell stuff cheap I paid good money for. I just use what works now. And buy and sell and so on. I have a wiggly girl. Different things work for different kids. I think it's trial and error. I know that is absolutely no help..lol...sorry

I have used them all. MFW is more open and go and the book basket was nice. I didn't care for their spines. Weaver, I don't know it just didn't flow with me. It wasn't bad it just wasn't me. I also had a hard time with finding books. Konos we enjoyed. I picked out our books and did a schedule. It does take planning but I just did that on Fri or sat morning. I didn't plan weeks just a week or two ahead. I just felt it was a lot of hands on type. We love hands on. But I sold it after finding this book and notebooking book. THESE ARE AWESOME!!! even if you don't want to make your own the booking is VERY informational on teaching and adding things in school. One the best I have ever read. But I love making my own unit studies. It isn't that hard. And I can find things on Amazon pretty cheap.

Oops should give ya the link
http://www.unitstudies.com/toolbox/index.aspx

Well, all you need for KONOS is the volume and its timeline.

You don't even need the library. The vast majority of all the activities are contained within KONOS itself; if you don't have time to go to the library, just don't plan activities which are based on library books. :-)

I could plan a month's worth of activities on a Sunday evening (I had already generally planned for the year).

I've only used KONOS and I have mixed feelings on it. I used it with a wiggly 7 year old and he really liked it. It was my first year hsing so I had very little confidence in my planning and teaching. I think I'd be more confident now, but I still think some of the activities were just not me. Lots of sewing and stuff like that.

"I think I'd be more confident now, but I still think some of the activities were just not me. Lots of sewing and stuff like that. "

KONOS isn't for everyone :-) but there are SO many activities that you can easily skip the ones that you would hate and still have a boatload more to choose from. FTR, we never did any that required sewing or any other crafty things. (My dc were 10 and 13 the first year we did Vol. 2; the next year I did it with just dd 11).

I've used Weaver, but it wasn't for us. Some who use it swear by it, but I felt it required too much planning, many trips to the library, and most of the recommended resources were not available at my library (which is really great for the most part.) It also didn't jive with my philosophy on hsing - I didn't want to plow through 100's of topics in a year; I wanted to go slower and thoroughly go into and learn a subject before moving on. That's when I switched to a more CM based curriculum.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions