Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

My Father's World beginning in 6th grade

My Father's World beginning in 6th grade

This curriculum was recommended for my ds' learning style by homeedexpert.com. I checked out their website but it looks like they have a 5 year cycle that the student completes prior to 9th grade. If I chose to pursue this curriculum I'd only have 3 years. Where would I start? Have any of you done this? What did you think of this curriculum?

Thanks.

re: My Father's World beginning in 6th grade

Most likely, I'd start at year 1 with Exploring Countries and Cultures (ECC) Then, depending on several factors (do you have younger children in the program, did student have a lot of certain kind of history... etc)... I'd consider one of 3 major paths:

1. If you have younger children in the program with this student
ECC
then Creation to the Greeks
then Rome to the Reformation
then, the one in 9th grade will do high school materials and youngers continue in the cycle. and it really is ok if they do something like creation to the greeks in 7th or 8th and then start high school at ancients. It really worked out great for my daughter that way.

2. another path (again based on what you have covered in history already)
ECC
then skip to Ex1850
then 1850MOD

3. A third path might be if you have an only child in My Father's World, you could do a "fill the gap"approach
ECC
then
Rome to the Reformation
then 1850MOD

More of that is explained on their message board. David Hazell (author's husband) explained a general outline for that starting in 6th grade.
here is a link to their recommendation and some user input from this worked better in this situation.....
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=484

Of course, if you've done a lot of culture, geography, and missions stuff, then you might prefer to skip ECC and start with Rome to the Reformation and just work through.
so you can adapt it for your needs based on what you have or haven't done in school.

But in most cases, just start with ECC then, take it from there to meet your needs.

-crystal
happy camper user of MFW since 2003. faint!

I have one child. We have done mostly U.S. history and geography.

Does MFW work well with one child? The more I check out their website, they appear to be geared to families with multiple children.

I guess it depends. One of their top chatty people on their message board, julie in mn, has used MFW with only 1 child since he was homeschooled. It's her youngest child and there is a huge age difference. another talkative member on that forum (cyndi) has an only child and has used mfw for years.
Right now, I'm using the 5 year cycle with just one child - my middle child.
for several years, I was using the 5 year cycle with just my oldest, while middle was under 2nd grade. I don't have only child, but have had good seasons where just one child was my only in mfw's 5 year stuff.

on the other hand, some people don't find it working well or don't like the books.

with only and what you've studied... I'd consider
ECC (possibly with some of the jr. high recommendations)
Rome to Reformation
then 1850MOD

-crystal

Thank you Crystal. You've been very helpful. I just ordered their catalog and will check out their forums for more insights as to whether it might be a good fit for us.

Thanks again!

I'm also seriously considering this curriculum for my dc who will be in 7th and 6th. My ds wants to start later in the program, but I feel like we should start with ECC. I think it would be fun to learn, and there is a reason it's first. But he loves history so.....

I don't think it would be a big deal to do this with just one child, in my opinion, I feel like they do a lot for families b/c that makes it more useable or user friendly if that makes sense? I'm no MFW expert or anything, so this is strictly opinion.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions