Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

re: re: When you Shouldn't Homeschool

When you Shouldn't Homeschool

http://voices.yahoo.com/when-homeschooling-might-not-family-10695833.html

I've had lots of people ask me about homeschooling. I used to be so excited and spend lots of time talking about it with them, only to learn that they ended up putting their kids in school. Or when I got a glimpse into their home-life, I thought, "Whoa! No way should you be home-schooling right now"

This article explains in more depth when people should not homeschool.

how bout you? Have you ever run up on people you think "Please, do your kids a favor and do not try homeschooling right now" ?

re: When you Shouldn't Homeschool

Well, this is a tough one. I don't think any of us can point to another and really say, "you shouldn't be homeschooling." Because what you see of anyone else's life is just a snapshot in time. It isn't their entire homeschooling journey.

For example, take the fall my husband walked out on us. It was our first official year of homeschooling, and every single person I knew told me to put my two little kids in school and give up my dream of homeschooling. Our priest even offered us free tuition at our church's school! If ever there was a "she shouldn't be homeschooling" moment, that was it. But here we are, 11 years later, homeschooling and doing well.

And as for things like being disorganized - well, couldn't one argue that years of homeschooling force a mom to become more organized as she grows as a person? I know it did me! I am super organized now compared to myself a decade ago.

Naturally, if there is domestic violence, substance abuse, those type of things - that's different. But a shy mom, a disorganized mom, a lazy mom. . .all can grow through their homescooling experiences into an amazingly successful homeschooling mom. Like I tell my kids when we're standing in a long line at the store or waiting for a doctor who is running two hours behind - "the only way to develop patience is to be put into situations which cause impatience. Over and over." It's like that with homeschooling, too!
Jen

Very good answer JennyMaine. I agree - and your story is inspirational!

JennyMaine,
ITA Excellent response.
Also, I believe any undesirable behaviors a parent or child have are discovered or magnified once you start hsing and then you have the perfect opportunity to fix those areas just like you so well pointed out.

Some of those reasons for not homeschooling are a stretch in my opinion. Sorry if I seem disagreeable. Being shy? Really? Most shy people are comfortable in their own household and CAN discipline their own children. Being shy does not mean letting people walk all over you--especially your own kids.

I do agree that SOME people shouldn't homeschool. But, your article is rather wide sweeping.

This post was edited on Dec 21, 2011 12:11 PM

JennyinMaine,

I loved your repsonse! I was that mom! Shy, quiet, disorganized, and yes, even lazy!!! Now I am very organized and just as you said, homeschooling forced me to get my act together if I ever wanted to be true to this commitment.

Our first year of homeschooling I became pregnant with our fourth child and was in bed sick for months. Though we homeschooled in our p.j.'s, we made it through. Each year has brought on its challenges, but yes, the only reason I see for a person not being homeschooled are abuse, drugs, or a dangerous lifestyle for that child. Sometimes even severe poverty and lack of nutrition are better reasons for a child to be in school.

I look forward to reading all the responses!

I guess what I was trying to say in the article was not so much that some of those things mean that your should never homeschool, but more that if you have these traits you may want to think carefully before committing to it.

I believe that some people are greeted by this "Oh homeschooling is easy it is perfect for everyone, it doesn;t matter what you do you will be fine..." enthusiasm, and then when reality hits they feel like a failure.

Absolutely people can grow through homeschooling. I have grown personally myself. you are completely right that being with your children all day forces a parent to address behaviors that may otherwise go unaddressed.

But it is a HUGE responsibility. Both to teach your children academics and socially. I've met too many who take those responibilities all too lightly.

I guess you guys have never met some of the people that I have. Some people take homeschooling so lightly that I feel it gives homeschooling a bad name, and I am embarrassed to be lumped in as homeschoolers with them. And those were not observations that I made over a few interactions. They were made over extended periods of time with many interactions.

This post was edited on Dec 21, 2011 12:43 PM

re: re: When you Shouldn't Homeschool

There's a big difference between the title of this thread and the title of the article. *Shouldn't homeschool* and *might not be right for your family* are two totally different things. Listing pros and cons is fine (which is pretty much what you've done in the article) but telling someone they should or shouldn't homeschool is like telling them they should or shouldn't have another child.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions