Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

MFW AFL or BJU online 9th grade??

MFW AFL or BJU online 9th grade??

Which of these seem more doable for a 9th grader who is a slow worker struggling with some OCD tendencies (re-reading and very meticulous)? Thanks!

re: MFW AFL or BJU online 9th grade??

I want to know this, too. My DD is exactly the same and these are the 2 top choices we are considering for next year. I'm all ears.

RuthAnn

Me 3, lol!

Uhm. I’ll try to help a bit.

My oldest has used MFW’s AHL. She had some OCD tendencies but they manifest differently.

I think the things to consider (but I don’t know) would be what study aids are there to help the student in either program, and how literature is handled. Another factor would be topics covered. BJU 9th grade is world geography. AHL is a ancient history and literature.

Students who are slower readers can still use MFW’s AHL. Several ideas are given in the daily plans including Spark Notes, or audio books, or other study aids to help get through it. When I worked a long time ago at a university, we had slower students and they had to learn how to adjust with materials. So, regardless of curriculum, make sure you are looking at ways to help your student learn how to study and how to manage time. You can tweak as needed to take out some of the writing with Bible and turn it into group discussion.

In AHL students will read several long novels in the year. Would she do better with audio versions? Will that be too much?

I have no idea at all how BJU does any of it. totally clueless here.

So that’s not much. doesn't sound too helpful. Is there a specific kind of question about the mfw program that might help you to know if it is a definite no go for the situation?

-crystal

I want to bump this back up and also say that these are my thoughts on BJU online vs. MFW AHL for high school:

MFW - I like that the student reads through the Old Testament. I like that they use real books, but I worry that my dd will have difficulty reading and assimilating the material on her own. MFW HS is very independent which is a good thing for me (I have 4 other children), but I worry about this particular child needing more hand holding. I know that adjustments can be made, but I just don't know how many adjustments I will need to make to make MFW HS attainable for her.

BJU online - I like that she will be "taught" the material which I think is better for this dd. I like their Biblical worldview that's incorporated into all they teach. I am, however, concerned that doing all BJU online for HS will be overwhelming to her, as well, and that it will take her a LONG time to get everything done. I am also concerned that it will require a lot of attention from me. (I've never used BJU online or DVD, but I've heard about the Mom's Minutes, TM, etc.).

I want to choose the best avenue for her so that she can do well without drowning in too much reading, too many assignments, etc.

Any other thoughts?

TIA,
RuthAnn

We are using BJU online for our 8th grader, and the time required for me as a mom is not much at all. I do watch the Mom's Minutes, but they don't take that long to watch. I know some moms don't watch them at all. I do correct some of his daily work (some the teacher goes over) but not tests or quizzes. I do record his grades. You can also edit his assignments-your child does not have to do them all. BJU also often offers extra assignments that are optional if you want your child to do more.

This post was edited on Dec 21, 2011 04:20 PM

Thanks Ruthann! I am concerned that the reading and writing portions in MFW might bog my dd down. I am thinking that BJU online will be easier for me as a teacher, but because of the length of the classes being watched and the individual student work, it will make for a very long school day for my particular dd. Either way, my dd will take a lot longer than the average child using either curriculum.

I don't think a typical day with BJU is that much, if any, longer than MFW would be.

My 8th grader does school from 8-12, then 1-2:30 or so. That is much shorter than with PS where he would be in school those hours plus have a few hours of homework each night.

I realize in HS the videos are 45 min for the most part, not 30, but I don't think it would be that much longer than other high school program. I think most HS curriculums would be a longer day than middle school by default. It is high school, after all.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions