Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Kahn Academy or Life of Fred

Kahn Academy or Life of Fred

I am wondering if anyone is using the Kahn Academy with their children? Would you share with the group how you are
using it? Are there worksheets you can print out while using it? Or is anyone using Life of Fred with Fractions on up? Thank you so much

M Link

re: Kahn Academy or Life of Fred

oops Khan not Kahn Academy.

I never heard of Khan Academy until now. I just watched a YouTube video on Salman Khan, and it was very interesting. Funny how he encouraged classrooms to use this and be self-paced. Reminds me why the self- paced curriculums do so well.

I use it with my kids. Especially with my 5th grade son. I use it for math. In particular, fractions. Also we used it for area/perimeter. I personally love it. It has helped me in getting over humps in learning fractions. Or even helped me in remembering how to do certain concepts.

I do have Life of Fred. Haven't used it much. Although, my ds did like reading it. But I will admit that he didn't read it all.

Hth!

My ds has been doing LOF fractions this year and we just added Kahn to go with it. I think the two go well together. My older ds is using ALEKS and I like it, too, but Kahn is FREE! Why pick one or the other? I say we have the best of both worlds.

BTW, my ds has some learning issues and we do LOF orally together, but I think he'll be able to do Kahn on his own. We also use Time 4 Learning as a general all-purpose way to cover more material that he does 100% independently.

My son uses it along with his Saxon algebra II. Actually, he uses a combo of his dvd instruction, Khan Academy, and Purple Math. He watches his dvd lesson first, then the Khan Academy or Purple Math (which he uses to either clarify something, study it from a different angle, or just delve a little deeper into a topic).

I had heard about Khan off and on, and never really looked into it. But, after seeing your post, I just did checked out their site. Wow! It looks great. And this is perfect timing because my ds has been having some trouble in his pre-algebra. This is just what we needed! Thanks :)

I have some more questions for those that are using the Khan Academy? I'm a little confussed with it. Are there work sheets to use with it? Also did you start at the beginning of it or just go to the program where the child is having trouble in. My ds seems stuck in fractions. Any information from those using this program would be so helpful.
Thanks so much!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions