Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Saxon math 54, 65, 76, and 87

Saxon math 54, 65, 76, and 87

I just purchased the older hardcover texts and the newer paperback solutions and tests/worksheets. However, they do not match up completely!!

I am slightly annoyed as Art Reed states in his newsletter ".. the 2nd edition hard cover book and the newer soft cover 3rd edition have identical math content.". Only parts of them do match up. So I now need to purchase the correct solutions manual. I have looked on Amazon and Ebay and cannot find it. Is it called a different name?

I thought it was a home study packet but some sellers show just the test forms. All I want are the matching solutions to the hard cover text.

Thanks.

re: Saxon math 54, 65, 76, and 87

It is confusing!

You need the exact same edition on both the text book and answer key. There is one exception, but I can never remember what it is.

The Solution Manual is fairly new. It is the answers key but with the answer fully worked out. Not all editions have had a Solution Manual, and if I remember correctly, only 8/7 and up have a Solution Manual available in the hard cover editions. (I could have that wrong).

When Harcourt bought Saxon, they started adding a Solutions Manual to their new softcover editions. (It used to be an extra purchase) That is one reason they switched to softcover, to keep the price down while they added extra conent (the bigger solutions manual.)

For your hard cover books, you want to find the Homeschool Packet, which should include the Answers (in a matching color cover) and a smaller one (matching but black and white cover) that has the Test Forms.

Having the exact version is key. I suggest anyone wanting to use the classic hard backs to find the proper answer keys and test forms now. There'll be plenty of the text books available but it'll get harder and harder to find the correct answer key.

Tinyteatree, I'd search with "homeschool packet" or "answer test" when looking for your editions. I'm perplexed why Art Reed would say that the content is the same, I thumbed thru a softcover 5/4 and it looked a lot different than the hard cover I have.

Thanks for the info!! I now have bought everything I need except the packet for 87.

Are there any homeschool sites you would recommend for buying used curriculum. The only 87 packets I have found used are at least $32!! A little too much for me.

What edition of 87? Post here and maybe someone has an extra? Try the swap boards here, too.

Also try amazon. Sometimes you can snag a good deal there. Just email the seller and confirm it's the correct edition and the correct booklets that you need. Sellers are confused about all the nuances as well.

If you have the same edition as I do (2nd edition), I can look up the ISBN #'s to help you search.

i think when I was hunting all these down, I bought some at Abebooks.com or Alibris.com. Can't remember but b/w that and ebay I got some good deals. Best to you as you gather them up.

Thank you for offering to help castiorn, that was very nice of you!

I looked at 87 again and found out that the hard cover and softcover editions are about 90% compatiable. All the others were completely different. So I will just keep what I have for 87 and figure out the solutions to the missing questions.

Sixwaterpots, I like the look of Abebooks. Their prices for the texts were cheaper than what I paid but the 87 answer key was $204!! I had to do a double take to make sure I was seeing correctly!!

Online book prices are often determined by rarity. If there's one copy for sale, it'll be $100's. If there's 10 copies for sale, each will be between $10 and $100. If 20 available, between $20 and $50. If there's tons and tons of copies, there'll be a lot for 1 cent, but also a few at that elusive $100.

The pricing is often driven by computer programs, which search out how many of a particular book is available and adjust the price accordingly. A seller can change the program to automatically underbid all the competition, or add $1 (or $10 or $100!) to the price another copy is selling for. It's crazy. And that is why out of print books will often have crazy prices. And why the prices go up and down day to day.

But like I say, if you want a set of the classic Saxon hardcover books, now is the time to search them out, before the answer keys become too hard to find. The text books will be a dime a dozen, but time consuming to teach from them if you don't have the matching answer key.

Wow! Sorry about that. Oh well, guess it was worth a try, but I guess there are not too many of them out there from what Castiron describes. Hope it works out for you. :)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions