Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

BJU online, hard drive or DVD which one would you choose for 5th grade??

BJU online, hard drive or DVD which one would you choose for 5th grade??

I am really thinking that for next year my oldest probably would benefit from someone else doing the teaching for some of the subjects.. I will have 1st and K in addition to 5th grade, and 1 year old in the mix. My biggest thing is that I would only want him to do two or maybe 3 subjects like math, science and english, but it is not financially sound as it would cost more for three subjects than it would be for the entire grade. Plus, I would definately have to go up by one grade or maybe 2 in math and probably go down by one in writing. In any case I need to decide if it would be DVD, hard drive or online. From your experience, which one is the easiest to maneuver and how long it takes to do for just the screen time, in addition to all of seatwork. Also, would you order books as part of the package or would you find your own texts...

Thank you in advance.

This post was edited on Nov 02, 2011 09:58 AM

re: BJU online, hard drive or DVD which one would you choose for 5th grade??

We are using BJU DLO for 6th and 8th grades this year, and I am soo glad I chose the DLO over the DVDs or hard drive. There are LOTS of DVDs and I have heard that they can get scratched and then you have to wait until BJU replaces them which can take up to a week..so you cannot do school until you get them back. That said, DLO is not perfect. Today the server was down until 11 am so we are getting a very late start. However , this is the first time that this has happened this year. I love having the TMs on line-it makes grading easy and I don't have to store the big TMs in my house.

Each video in 6th grade is 30 min long, except for English which is 15. Not sure about 5th grade-but I think spelling and handwriting are 15 min.

The books come with the grade package. I think you could get the grade package without but the only reason that would work is if you already had the books from an older child. Even then, you would still need to replace some of the books as some are consumable.

This post was edited on Nov 02, 2011 10:11 AM

I meant to say that It takes my 6th grader about 5 and a half hours to do all his schoolwork. That includes watching the videos and doing his work. He does not do BJU spelling or handwriting-. We use a different spelling and handwriting program.

My daughter uses BJU's distance learning program online. We haven't had a single problem with it, except for the issue today that the commenter above mentioned. My daughter does all the 5th grade subjects at grade level and it takes her about 5 hours a day. We start at 8:30am and, with a few breaks and an hour for lunch, she's finished by around 2:30 usually. Some of the classes are longer than others. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try to answer them. I should add that my daughter absolutely LOVES school this year.

Sue

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions